Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BL15: Date of Burials- 11.30.am 22 October 2014

MelPack

Thanks Norman and Marilyne, you can see from Street view on Google Earth that there is very little room in front of the cemetery (about three vehicles), and the road is very narrow with a ditch running down one side...

post-5284-0-52886500-1413801522_thumb.jp

So where they expect all the other attendees to park is anyone's guess.... unless of course arrangements have been made that they have neglected to inform the public about!!

As I'm only over for a day and have other things I would like to fit-in to the time available, I don't want to waste too much time with the intricacies of parking and walking any distance to the ceremony.

I'll probably have a quick look see on the ground first thing, and if circumstances aren't favourable return when all the traffic has disappeared, before high-tailing it back to Zeebrugge for my return ferry..

regards

Tom

Whatever you do Tom please make sure that you take some (discreet) photos if possible and post them here. This is a watershed event in my opinion as it should set the pattern for the procedures adopted by the MOD for future finds when such finds lend themselves to DNA analysis etc. I wonder what the attendees will make of the one lone grave of a Y & L soldier buried as Unknown in Rue David CWGC when he could be one of those for whom modern DNA has been obtained and the profiles for which are still on file?.

Good Luck

Norman

well ... I'm not in service dress high heels... I can walk a bit if necessary.

Chris, if you read this... be warned!

M. ,

Gammy ankle precludes any long walks nowadays.....hence the interest in parking near the cemetery..

regards

Tom

Robert Hall on BBC Breakfast News this morning, reporting from France. Funeral will be shown on BBC News Channel from 10.30.

Mandy

Thanks for that, watching it live now.

Well the panic about the parking spots was in vain ... it was magnificently organised!!

Very nice ceremony, it was an honour to be there... even in civvies...

M.

Just one last post here... I don't know the name of this Tommy at Bois Grenier Wednesday, but hope someone can forward him the picture. I just could not resist making this picture with the sepia filter... guess I'm not the only one ...

post-84394-0-21893200-1414088333_thumb.j

MM.

Very nice picture that you have there, Marilyne. It looks like a friend from the past coming back to welcome his mates.

Just one last post here... I don't know the name of this Tommy at Bois Grenier Wednesday, but hope someone can forward him the picture. I just could not resist making this picture with the sepia filter... guess I'm not the only one ...

attachicon.gifBL15 022 (501x800).jpg

MM.

A caption from the Daily Mail with a photograph of the same Tommy says the following:

"Living history enthusiast Chris Barker wears World War One period military uniform as he visits the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Y-Farm Cemetery on Wednesday"

Images like that always really get to me.

I chanced on a similar one "live" at Ancre B Cem. a few years ago. I wandered into what I thought was a deserted cemetery and thought I was seeing a ghost Tommy - but he was on a break from an event at the excavations in Thiepval Wood!

A caption from the Daily Mail with a photograph of the same Tommy says the following:

"Living history enthusiast Chris Barker wears World War One period military uniform as he visits the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Y-Farm Cemetery on Wednesday"

ah ... so that's Chris Barker... good to know...

Chris, if you read this and want me to send your picture in full format, please pm me with an e-mail address.

M.