Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LT.COL. A. St. H. GIBBONS / CASAULTY

SEASIDER

Just back from the States where I picked up a WW1 war medal named too.....LT.COL. A .St. H. GIBBONS..a quick check on SDWG states Alfred St. Hill. Gibbons died of wounds 15th July 1916, Kings (Liverpool Regiment) does anyone know when and where he was wounded? any info much appreciated.

According to his memorial stone at St Michael & All Angels, Budehaven in Cornwall, Gibbons " died of wounds while leading his men into action at the Battle of the Somme, 16th July 1916. Aged 58 years."

A query about his Liverpool link was printed in the journal of the Liverpool & SW Lancs Family History Society in June 2011, and having nothing better to do I looked him up.

He turned out to have had an interesting life. Born in the Aigburth district of Liverpool in 1858, he was educated in Birkenhead and at Cambridge. He was commissioned into the 3rd Bn, East Yorkshire Regiment and was a captain in 1885. In 1895-6 he explored Barotseland in the Upper Zambesi region of Africa and wrote it up for publication, earning a medal from the Royal Geographical Institute.

He married in 1898 but was soon back in Africa leading another expedition. In the 2nd Boer War he served with 26th Bn, Imperial Yeomanry (Younghusband's), then farmed in Northern Rhodesia. He was in Surrey for the 1901 census and Cornwall in 1911.

On the outbreak of war he volunteered at once and was accepted by 23rd (S) Bn, Royal Fusiliers (Sportsmen's). He was already 56 years old. In August 1915 he transferred to The King's (Liverpool Regiment) to command its 13th (Service) Battalion (New Army), as Lieut. Colonel.

In July 1916 the unit was attacking Bazantin-le-Grand in the second phase of the Battle of the Somme. Alfred was wounded while leading his men in the attack and died of his wounds the next day. He was buried at Daours Communal Extension Cemetery where his CWGC headstone gives his age as 53 years.

The memorial at Budehaven was erected by his family. He is named in a 'Roll of South Africans who fell 1914-1918' and on the Roll of Honour in Liverpool's Town Hall. His small estate was administered by a brother in Liverpool and a daughter. His widow died at Bude in 1930.

I have not looked at the War Diary for 13 KLR which might reveal more. I have omitted here a few minor bits from a piece I wrote for the same journal.

Daggers

Brilliant thank-you so much, never cease to amaze me where medals turn-up, I found his medal in FT.Lauderdale.Florida.

Edited by TOWERBOY

Lt. Col. A St. H Gibbons from Memorials of Old Birkonians 1914-1919.

post-765-0-51548500-1386990906_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

I am currently researching the lives of the men who appear on the First World war memorial at Mossley Hill Church.  I would be very interested in seeing any images of Alfred St Hill Gibbons or images of his war medal.  Any further information about him would also be most welcome.

Hello Alan

Welcome to the forum.

I live within sight of the church whose memorial you are researching and have a few bits of information about the names as there is some overlap with Aigburth parish which I researched a few years ago.  I will also see if I still have what I wrote about Gibbons.

After you have made another post you should be able to send me a private message by clicking on my avatar, and include your email address.

Daggers

I do have the piece I wrote about Gibbons and probably have notes on several of those named both at St Anne's and at Mossley Hill.  If you let me have a list of those you are interested in I will be happy to help.

D