Remembered Today:

69th Machine gun. 69th Light TrenchTrench Mortar. Yorkshire Reg`s

neverforget

Have just obtained the following if anyone needs them:

69th Machine gun Coy.

69th Light Trench Mortar Battery.

8th Yorkshire Reg.

9th Yorkshire Reg.

10th Duke of Wellington`s (West Ridings) Reg.

11th West Yorkshire Reg.

2nd Coldstream Guards. (Only up to April 1916)

• 3 weeks later...

I`m sorry Bernard, I hadn`t spotted your thread when I posted this here.

Thanks very much for adding my little list. I hope it may help someone to find it more easily.

• 1 year later...

Have just obtained the following if anyone needs them:

69th Machine gun Coy.

69th Light Trench Mortar Battery.

8th Yorkshire Reg.

9th Yorkshire Reg.

10th Duke of Wellington`s (West Ridings) Reg.

11th West Yorkshire Reg.

2nd Coldstream Guards. (Only up to April 1916)

Trying to find out what role the 69th MGC had in Polygon Wood and 1st and 2nd Passchedaele battles in Sept-Oct 1917 . Does the Diary mention these actions?

Thanks

Roger

Will check this morning and get back to you.

I`ve had a look at the diary, and have spent hours in error typing up the entries for 1916. :wacko:

I have now hopefully corrected my mistakes, and supplied the correct information.

I`m afraid I don`t have the skills that others possess that would enable me to post individual pages of pdf documents, though I have spent many frustrating hours attempting to do so, so here is a brief summary of positions etc for the dates you mention re. Passchendaele:

69th Machine Gun Company.

Sept 1st 1917 sees them at DICKEBUSCH, having what is described as a quite period.

Sept 3rd LEDERZEELE. In billets until 16th.

Sept 16th To MICMAC CAMP. DICKEBUSCH area

Sept 18th No 4 section moved into front line

Sept 19th Rest of company into the line.

Sept 25th Relieved in the trenches. Sent to ONTARIO CAMP.

Sept 27th Back into the trenches.

Oct 2nd Relieved in the trenches. Sent to billets at METEREN.

Oct 11th Billets at ONTARIO CAMP. On to ANZAC CAMP.

Oct 16th Moved to front lines POLYGON WOOD sector. J.12.a.20.65 and J.6.c.20.00.(Again the diary is almost illegible here and the map-references are as they appear to me.)

Opened fire on a line between J.12.d.40.20 and J.12.d.60.70.

Oct 22nd Relieved by 62 coy.

Hope this helps a bit.

More from the appendixes later. There are map-references etc. If you want to P.M. me about more, please feel free.

EDIT: Had originally mistakenly typed up the entries for 1916. :blush:

Edited by neverforget

69th Light Trench Mortar Battery:

Sept 19/20th. Moved into front line at INVERNESS COPSE.

"Three guns were detailed to advance from left of Brigade fronts and two from the right. All guns were to move forward following 1st btn of infantry. Two guns proceeded towards the TANK TRAP J.14.c.84 (The c here is barely legible, and may be an a) but just before reaching it, a stray shell destroyed the guns and put the teams out of action. The remaining guns moved up left of COPSE and fired on S.P. at J.14.d.85.50. A hit on the doorway of dugout was observed, and the garrison surrendered. This gun then followed the West Riding Reg`t to the final objective, and took up position covering the valley of REUTELBECK.

Two guns on the right moved forward with infantry to HERENTHAGE CHATEAU. They fired three rounds on S.P. at about J.20.b.central. on the right Brigade front. A direct hit was observed. Shortly afterwards 30 Germans surrendered. The guns then followed the West Riding Reg`t forward and established themselves, covering centre and right of Brigade front. At the final position a minenwerfer was found mounted. This was put into action, and a wood in which the enemy appeared to be massing was fired on continually during the afternoon, about 200 rounds being fired. At dusk the S.O.S. was sent up from the front line, and the three Stokes mortars in position fired 160 rounds on S.O.S. lines. About 50 rounds were also fired by the minenwerfer. Casualties 1 Off, 32 ORs.

Three guns remaining in action, five rounds were fired at dusk in reply to S.O.S. Guns then buried and out of action until late in the evening.

Sept 22nd Guns withdrawn from line.

Sorry for the delay in thanking you for your efforts but in Australia at the moment and time difference reason.

Seems like this may have worked out well for me as you had to edit original, will pm you about any queries and map references

Thanks again

Roger

My pleasure. You`re most welcome.

A pm would be a good idea. The diary is rich in content.