Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commemorative Medal

Gardenerbill

Does anyone know anything about this medal. It is very light probably aluminium, the ribbon is red white and blue. On the side with the King and Queen it is inscribed 'The Great War 1914-19 Peace Enduring Victorious' and on the other 'To Commemorate the ending of the Great war 1919'.

post-91681-0-70160700-1386789792_thumb.j

One of the many commemerative medals produced at the end of the war generally given to school children. Similar to the tribute medals given to returning servicemen usually from their local council.

As Dink and Pip has already said, these were produced in thousands as commemorative medals to celebrate the conclusion of the Great War. These were cheaply(almost crudely) produced and handed out mainly to school children. Made from a cheap alloy, not many, compared to the number produced, have survived the ravages of time and those that have are of little value.

There are many different types of similar medallions produced by cities, towns, villages and companies, some are made from silver or gold and these can have significant value both from rarity and also from their intrinsic value.

Thank you, dink and Pip and Old Owl, for the information,

I wasn't particularly interested in the value just curious about what it was. As a child my brother and I were allowed around the house of a great aunt who had just died and told we could have anything we wanted within reason and I picked up 4 medals. A medal commemorating the marriage of the Prince of Wales and Princess Alexandria in 1863, one for Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee 1897, one a City of Nottingham celebration medal to commemorate the coronation of King George V and Queen Mary in 1911 and the first world war one above.