Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

8th Canadian Infantry Brigade Artillery Liaison Officer

RedCoat

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the role of my great grandfather who served with and later commanded 297th Siege Battery RGA. During the attack on the 25th-27th August 1918 by the Canadians my Great Grandad was attached to the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade as an Artillery Liaison Officer.

My question is, what would have been his responsibilities? would he have been at HQ or on the ground as more of a FOO?

Don

Normally an artillery liaison officer would be with, or near, the infantry unit commander and would communicate the artillery requirements of that infantry unit commander to his artillery unit and inform the infantry unit commander of the status and capabilities of his artillery. May I ask who your great grandfather was?

Hi there,

Many thanks for the reply, I understand that per brigade only one Heavy Artillery Liaison Officer would be attached? I found a set of orders for the attack but only lists the H.A. Liaison Officer (presumably my Great Grandfather) having received the orders. His name was Major P. D. Desbrow M.C.

Don