Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 & 1914/15 Star Criteria.......

Laird of Camster

Ladies/Gents,

Can anyone explain to me why the criteria for the 1914/15 Star (1914 period) is the same as that for the 1914 star?

Has anyone come across any examples of when a soldier deployed to France in 1914 (didn`t qualify for the clasp) but was awarded the 1914/15 Star instead?

Ladies/Gents,

Can anyone explain to me why the criteria for the 1914/15 Star (1914 period) is the same as that for the 1914 star?

Has anyone come across any examples of when a soldier deployed to France in 1914 (didn`t qualify for the clasp) but was awarded the 1914/15 Star instead?

The criteria ISN'T the same, hence the difference - the 1914 Star covers the theatres of war in France and Belgium only, whereas the criteria for the 1914-15 Star covers ALL theatres of war excepting those who had already qualified for the 1914 Star.

The criteria ISN'T the same, hence the difference - the 1914 Star covers the theatres of war in France and Belgium only, whereas the criteria for the 1914-15 Star covers ALL theatres of war excepting those who had already qualified for the 1914 Star.

Cheers Andrew, makes perfect sense now!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I hope it's OK to add to this thread rather than start a fresh one as I have a question relating to the eligibility for the 1914-15 Star.

My relative arrived in France 29/9/1915 but his medal card shows no Star entitlement, any ideas?

Stephen

There are 8 pages of Discharge Documents in the Pension Records on Ancestry (sadly mixed up with another soldier with the same surname). It's odd as the record confirms embarkation to France 28/9/1915 from Southampton and landing at Le Havre the following day yet his mic shows no entitlement to the 14-15 Star.

The record shows he was attached to 14 Veterinary Hospital,not 4. I don't know where that was located but when he broke his toe in March 1917 he was admitted to No 5 Stationary Hospital in Abbeville. The RAVC Association may be able to help with the location http://ravc-association.org/historical_records.shtml.

He doesn't appear to have served with any other unit although when he made his claim he was serving in the 'Quartermaster's Department' and seems to have followed his civilian occupation as a carter/waggoner. Appointed paid acting sergeant 28/12/1916, later made substantive from that date.

Ken

Cheers Andrew, makes perfect sense now!!!!!

Glen,

As far as I can tell (as a novice) there are two card listings on the National Archive site. The one I have access to for SE9557 Harry Pykett (my Great Grandfather) and another for a different soldier of the same name in the same corps but who has a regimental number of SE5671. This second soldier also has a rifle brigade number. I followed this trail earlier in the year and found that this man did not survive and has a grave site listing for Egypt.

Does the service of SE9557 Harry Pykett meet the requirements of the 1914-15 Star, given his service in France from late September 1915?

From what I can see this is in the qualifying period (pre 31 December 1915) and he wasn't eligible for the 1914 Star. Are there any other criteria that he possibly did not meet?

Stephen

Stephen,

He was awarded the medal. Do a search for PYEKETT and you will find his 1914-15 Star Medal Index Card.

A friend of mine had his grandfathers medals a 1915 trio but no sign of the star on his medal index card, however there was a separate MIC with his star entitlement which I believe is fairly common, another issue when searching through the records for this chaps entitlement was that there was a misspelling of his surname Capp instead of Gapp. Always worth looking for the simple variations on name spelling that may have happened through mistakes, I am relatively new to medal collecting and I have come across a few such examples of spelling mistakes. I am sure there are thousands of mistakes on the surviving records purely due to the vast undertaking of awarding named medals to millions of men. Thinking about it its a wonder such a good job was done no computerised systems back then just pen and paper.

I have a archive of letters and documents to a 19 year old in the 12th Londons who is in the first draft of the regiment who travel over on 24th December 1914 fails to get 1914 Star but comments in his letters of being issued with the Christmas 1914 Mary tin .

A friend of mine had his grandfathers medals a 1915 trio but no sign of the star on his medal index card, however there was a separate MIC with his star entitlement which I believe is fairly common, another issue when searching through the records for this chaps entitlement was that there was a misspelling of his surname Capp instead of Gapp. Always worth looking for the simple variations on name spelling that may have happened through mistakes, I am relatively new to medal collecting and I have come across a few such examples of spelling mistakes. I am sure there are thousands of mistakes on the surviving records purely due to the vast undertaking of awarding named medals to millions of men. Thinking about it its a wonder such a good job was done no computerised systems back then just pen and paper.

Yes I see now, as David pointed out in this thread it was a second card with a spelling error, PEYKETT instead of PYKETT. This particular soldiers records seem to be mixed up a little. As you say though with the volume of records it's a wonder we can find anything at all. In this particular search I have been successfully helped in finding not only that the soldier was eligible but that there was a second MIC and the medal was awarded.