Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Charles Boyland RMLI

Frajohn

Charles Boyland is commemorated on a local memorial which I am researching, or trying to!

The details I have from CWGC is Private Charles Boyland PO/16677, H.M.S. "Glatton" Royal Marine Light Infantry. Died October 2nd 1918.

He is buried in our local cemetery, Hemyock Devon, where he was born.

I have found that HMS Glatton was subject to a massive explosion and fire, as the fire was spreading and could not be controlled, later that day sunk by torpedoe in order to prevent further damage. This occured September 16th 1918.

As Charles died a couple of weeks after this incident and is buried in UK, is it possible that he was injured in the explosion / fire and died from those injuries.

Is there any way of finding this out? Also, where do you look for medal entitlement and service record?

regards

John

John - I am not sure where the Gratton was lost but there is a memorial and mass grave in the Royal Navy (Chatham dockyard) section of Gillingham Cemetery in Kent.

• 2 weeks later...

Boyland died of wounds sustained in the explosion in GLATTON

John:

Here's from the 1901 census:

gordon

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Albert Boyland 6 Yarcombe, Devon, England Son Gittisham Devon

Bessie Boyland 2 Stockland, Devon, England Daughter Gittisham Devon

Charlie Boyland 5 Stockland, Devon, England Son Gittisham Devon

Gladys Boyland 4 Stockland, Devon, England Daughter Gittisham Devon

Hannah Boyland 33 Yarcombe, Devon, England Wife Gittisham Devon

Henry Boyland 9 Membury, Devon, England Son Gittisham Devon

Henry J Boyland 33 Stockland, Devon, England Head Gittisham Devon

John Boyland 6 months Cotleigh, Devon, England Son Gittisham Devon

Maud Boyland 8 Yarcombe, Devon, England Daughter Gittisham Devon

I attended a talk on HMS Glatton last year. The harbour was filled with fully armed ships waiting to sail when there was an explosion on HMS Glatton and a fire. Men rushed to the Glatton trying to help wounded men off but the fire was so intense that there were fears it would cause the ships nearby to explode and a chain reaction that could have destroyed Dover. The order was given for another ship to torpedo Glatton and sink her, with many men still trapped on board. Their cries for help could be clearly heard. It was a terrible event but under the circumstances it was the right decision. I remember the effect of the speaker reading eye-witness accounts, on the audience. A very solemn evening.

Steve

Glatton was at Dover when lost.

Any ideas why some of the bodies - enough for a mass burial - were bought back to Gillingham for internment in the Naval section of the local cemetery - bearing in mind Dover has two or three enormous cemeteries containing CWGC graves from both wars?

Any ideas why some of the bodies - enough for a mass burial - were bought back to Gillingham for internment in the Naval section of the local cemetery - bearing in mind Dover has two or three enormous cemeteries containing CWGC graves from both wars?

Apologies to John for tagging this on the end of his thread but I was thinking aout this on the way to work this morning.

As I recall, in Gillingham cemetery there is a mass grave of nearly 80 of the GLATTON crew. I cant think why they would have bought the bodies back that far when Dover has about 3 enormous cemeteries that include CWGC graves. Also the apparent plot appears very small for nearly 80 men, so I am assuming these were not complete bodies.

Although, some of them did possibly come back to the RN hospital and died of wounds but obviously not 80 of them. Possibly the ships that recovered the bodies were CHATHAM ships that returned directly to their home port but it seems unusual they would return with the bodies to Chatham. I wondered if they were bodies that were washed up locally but surely they would have come ashore long before reaching Medway - and if they had travelled that far I cant see how they would have got around Sheppey without washing up.

Does anyone have any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Signals,

The bodies of the men left on HMS Glatton were not recovered until 1930,Therefore

I imagine only bones would have survived.My Gt Uncle Thompson Smith Stoker 2nd Class K/51330 was one of those who were buried in Gillingham Cemetary.

Cheers

RobB

Thanks Rob. It is interesting that the bodies were not recovered for 12 years although I am still unsure why they would bring them back to Medway.