Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to find Citations

The Scorer

I am looking for the citations for a number of servicemen who are contained on a war memorial that I'm researching.

The names are:

Private Tom Gibbs, 2144, Prince of Wales Company, Welsh Guards, killed in action 28th March 1918 - Military Medal

Captain Francis Leslie Spencer, 2nd Battalion, Monmouthshire Regiment, killed in action 2nd December 1917 - Mentioned in Despatches

Although it's for the Second World War, maybe some can help me with this one as well ...

Flying Officer Air Gunner David Trevor Watkins, 617 Squadron, Royal Air Force, killed in action 7th October 1944 - Distinguished Flying Cross

Can you help me, please?

Thank you.

hi

If you follow the advice in my post #8 in

Im sure you will find them,

(I found Gibbs and Watkins within seconds, struggling with the other)

Regards,

Graeme

Hi,

I can't find his Mention in Despatches but I do have the following information on him if it is of any use to you........

"SPENCER/SPENSER, FRANCIS LESLIE -

Captain - A Company 2nd Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment - died 2nd December 1917 at Cambrai, France - age 21 - son of Mr. F. W. and Mrs. M. Spencer of 79 Llanthewy Road, Newport mentioned in despatches - buried at Flesquieres Hill British Cemetery, Nord, France - memorial reference:- III A 19 also commemorated in the Battalion War Memorial Chapel, St. Cadoc’s Church, Trevethin also commemorated on the Newport Athletic Club Memorial Gates, Rodney Parade, Newport also commemorated in the Book of Remembrance, Reference Library, John Frost Square, Newport also commemorated on The St. John The Baptist Church Memorial Window, Oakfield Road, Newport also commemorated on a sanctuary gong at St. John The Baptist Church, Oakfield Road, Newport also commemorated in the publication ‘Officers Who Died In The Great War’ also commemorated on the Newport High School Old Boys Memorial, St. Mark's Church, Gold Tops, Newport also commemorated in the 2nd Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment Honours List published in the ‘History of The Monmouthshire Regiments’ - obituary in the Free Press of Monmouthshire, County Archives, Gwent County Record Office, Turnpike Road, Croesycoeliog, Cwmbran copy dated 14th December 1917 "

Kind regards

Martyn

hi

If you follow the advice in my post #8 in

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=203536&hl=

Im sure you will find them,

(I found Gibbs and Watkins within seconds, struggling with the other)

Regards,

Graeme

Hi,

I can't find his Mention in Despatches but I do have the following information on him if it is of any use to you........

"SPENCER/SPENSER, FRANCIS LESLIE -

Captain - A Company 2nd Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment - died 2nd December 1917 at Cambrai, France - age 21 - son of Mr. F. W. and Mrs. M. Spencer of 79 Llanthewy Road, Newport mentioned in despatches - buried at Flesquieres Hill British Cemetery, Nord, France - memorial reference:- III A 19 also commemorated in the Battalion War Memorial Chapel, St. Cadoc’s Church, Trevethin also commemorated on the Newport Athletic Club Memorial Gates, Rodney Parade, Newport also commemorated in the Book of Remembrance, Reference Library, John Frost Square, Newport also commemorated on The St. John The Baptist Church Memorial Window, Oakfield Road, Newport also commemorated on a sanctuary gong at St. John The Baptist Church, Oakfield Road, Newport also commemorated in the publication ‘Officers Who Died In The Great War’ also commemorated on the Newport High School Old Boys Memorial, St. Mark's Church, Gold Tops, Newport also commemorated in the 2nd Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment Honours List published in the ‘History of The Monmouthshire Regiments’ - obituary in the Free Press of Monmouthshire, County Archives, Gwent County Record Office, Turnpike Road, Croesycoeliog, Cwmbran copy dated 14th December 1917 "

Kind regards

Martyn

Yes, this is the chap ... I've found Gibbs and Watkins as well, but not Spencer - but thanks for your help!