Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Lancers Hand Drawn Trench Map From War Diary

sbaxter77

Hi

Following on from a couple of other threads, i have found the attached golden nugget! After a great day at Kew on Friday reading through the 9th Lancers war diary, reading maps and tracing the footsteps of Frederick Duffield 4765, and after an email of confirmation about his date of death (please see other threads) from the CWGC, the attached map is drawn by a commanding officer on the date of Fredericks death.(31/10/1914) I have spent all weekend trying to match it to a current days map and have finally decided to see if you good folk could help me again as im hitting a brick wall!

The map states its a rough picture of the 9th Lancers trenches east of Messines. Obviously on there, there is a cemetery marked. Now the current cemetery on todays maps is to far north im thinking to be on the Warneton road as stated by the war diary and map as there location, could this have been a temparary cemetery, or even a cemetery that was destroyed later in the great war?

Can anyone help and put this simple hand drawn map into a map of today and be able to tell me where this was? This is the final piece of the jigsaw and i would love to be able to take the Duffiled family to within the area he was lost,

Any help or ideas as before will truly be appreciated!

Stu

post-104163-0-27705700-1386580111_thumb.

Hi

That is absolutley amazing! Thankyou so much, i am forever in your debt!

Stu