Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible Non-Commemoration - Sgt Joseph Tyler, 3rd Warwicks

John(txic)

A moving article from a 1969 issue of "The Blackcountryman" magazine, featured on the "Cradley Links" website:

http://www.cradleylinks.com/tyler_funeral.html

Why don't you submit him to the In From The Cold team, absolute certainty to be accepted, service records do not lie. Get in there :thumbsup:

Whoosh.................I heard mention of the In From the Cold project...............and here I am.

I'm assuming this is John Joseph Tyler whose service papers are on Ancestry. They indicate that he had been discharged from the army due to TB, not dysentery as mentioned in the linked article. As a post discharge case, commemoration is not an absolute certainty so we will have to get the death certificate to confirm that his cause of death was linked to the TB. As he died only a month after discharge this seems very likely and I'm happy to take the punt on buying the certificate.

John

Sir, you are a Gentleman.

Death certificate confirms cause of death as TB. So, with that being only around a month after he was discharged due to TB (attributable to service), it should be all but guaranteed that we get him "in from the cold". It'll take some weeks/months for anything to happen

John - I'd like In From the Cold to record you as the "finder". If you're OK with that, please drop me a PM with your real name.

John

Do you need the grave location?

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

John,

When I get a spare day I'll visit the graveyard and see what I can find. It's only about 5 miles away from here.

• 2 weeks later...

I have checked the online burial records for Dudley & he is not buried in any of the local authority cemeteries in the area.

Dudley archives have confirmed that he is not buried at St Luke's Cradley Heath

If anyone has any suggestions I am open to offers

Chris

Reading the article linked to in the OP, two Cradley churches are mentioned - St Katherine's & St Peter's. The article isnt clear as to which one the burial service was held at but, presumably, he's buried at one or the other.

John

St Peter's has burial records but not St Katherine's so will check

Chris

Name: John Joseph Tyler

When buried: 31 August 1916

Abode: 37 Colby Orchard, Cradley

By whom ceremony was performed: R A Norris, Vicar

Amongst the monumental inscriptions for St Peter’s, Cradley was:

Section B, Plot 155

Red brick surround and headstone

In loving memory of Sergt John Jos. Tyler, 3rd Battalion, royal Warwicks.

Son of Selina and Walter William Tyler.

Died August 27th 1916, age 27 years

‘Rest within the Lord’

A result

I got confused between Cradley & Cradley Heath

Anyway he is buried at St Peters Cradley

You're not the first, Chris!

I'll have a dekko in the coming weeks, and post a piccie if I can track him down.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad I've waited: it seems you would have needed a machete to find Sgt Tyler's grave, and might have found Dr Livingstone or a lost tribe instead... "Community service" workers have been involved in clearing the undergrowth and several interesting graves have been brought back into the light.

http://www.halesowennews.co.uk/news/10954765.Cash_windfall_ensures_Cradley_s_war_dead_will_have_lasting_memorial/

When/if it stops raining, I'll visit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, it's stopped raining - so I have sortied out to St Peter's, Cradley.

Found it, along with Pte Southall's grave, and a memorial to the old boys of St Peter's C of E Primary school.

post-8979-0-89613500-1395227807_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...

TYLER, JOHN JOSEPH

Rank: Serjeant Service No: 16/97 Date of Death: 27/08/1916 Age: 26 Regiment/Service: Royal Warwickshire Regiment 16th Bn. Grave Reference: Sec. B. Grave 155 Cemetery: CRADLEY (ST. PETER) CHURCHYARD Commemoration Moved From UK BOR.

• 3 years later...

Hi 

I’ve been looking up John Joseph Tyler 

and I’ve seen you interesting things on J J Tyler I’ve been interested in local soldiers for a long time and was given the chance to purchase JJ Tyler’s medals & plauqe in the early nineties. As it’s to my surname (no relation) sad to say they where found disregarded by a rubbish shoot in a block of flats in the late 80’s . They where framed up but frame was past repair but they where mounted on a lovely backing with name tag and medals , if anyone wants a picture of them for there archive I will gladly send them one 

Steve tyler

98BF0779-3B7E-4204-AE66-1E86145C8AAF.jpeg