Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RNVR First enrolment Glasgow

Bill37Amy

I am trying to find out about my Grandfather's time in the war. He was in the Royal Naval Division responsible for the welfare of the horses and mules. He fought in Gallipolli and then his unit went straight on to fight in France. It was there he was awarded the Military Cross. His daughter, my mother always meant to get to Kew Archives to research the reason he was awarded the medal. Unfortunately she died without making it there. I also wonder about his meeting up with my Grandmother who was a police inspectors daughter in Ongar. She left a little autograph book signed by many soldiers staying in the local hospital. I guess my Grandfather must have been wounded and sent there. My Grandfather was W. Ross CZ2663 P Off RNVR. Any help much appreciated.

Hi,

This looks like him

Regards Mark

Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve medal roll 1914-1920
First name(s):William
Last name:Ross
Service number:Clyde Z/2663
Service branch:Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
Medals and clasps earned:1914-15 Star, Victory & British War Medals
How issued or disposed of:Self.
Other awards earned:MM
Notes:MM Hawke Bn. DRO 27/4/17, LG 9/7/17 p.6835 (presented at East Leeds War Hospital, Harehill Rd., Leeds 31/8/18).
ADM171 page number:128/411

Do you think it will say on his military records why he was awarded the MM? Also is it possible to find out what injuries were sustained if he was in hospital in Ongar and Leeds. Thankyou so much for your swift replies. I have his medals and photo displayed in my hall along with his fathers medals from the Zulu war. I know his life following the Great War was affected by what he had been through

His original RNVR enlistment papers, RND record of service card and, probably, his Army Form B.103 Casualty Form, Active Service (which will list his wounds) are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum. http://www.fleetairarm.com/royal-navy-royal-marines-services-records.aspx

His Military Medal was awarded for his part in the taking of the village of Gavrelle by the RND on 23/24 April 1917 "for bravery in the field".

Thankyou so much-Brigadier and Major-General. You have both already saved me hours of research/travel time by your depth of knowledge on this subject. I would like to read about the taking of the village of Gavrelle. Is it recorded in any books? I will now apply to the NA and Fleet Air Arm Museum for his records.

If its of any use to anyone I could scan a document I have dated 6.8.15 which Im guessing would be information needed by my Grandfather for transporting water, ammunition etc around Krithia Gully RD, Achi Baba Gully the Eski Line etc. Where on this site should it go?Also the entries in my Grans album may be of interest to relatives of the contributors who were at Ongar Red Cross Hospital(Budworth Hall) Many have drawn their Regiments badges: Pte JH Mostyr 5th Cheshires June 25 1915. CJ Noakes-East Surrey. FA Stannard 3816 Royal Engineers 22.05.1916. E O Connell Co Sergt Major 8th B The Welch Regt (Pioneers) 27.08.1915. Sgt GP Oakshott 99Co ASC/Alld to 9th The Queens 24.09 15 (returned from France July 22 1915. Pte J Lomas(3382) 2nd/6th Cheshires C Coy 12 platoon. His entry reads:wounded June 12th in right elbow at the bottom of 'Car-Steps'Result:turn to blood poison taken to Ongar red cross hospital where I was most gently nursed back to health. Pte HG Sales Windsor Great Park 22.08.1915 Royal army Medical Corps. Some of the writing is hard to read but where would I scan these album entries to on this site?

• 7 months later...

After following all the leads suggested by the kind members who have offered advice, I have still been unable to find out exactly why my Grandfather was awarded the MM. I wonder whether it was awarded to all the members of the RND/63rd division who took Gavrelle, April 1917. Does anyone know how many MM's were awarded altogether throughout the war? We usually are only told about the Victoria Crosses.How many of these were awarded to soldiers in the lower ranks?

Military Medals were certainly not handed out to every man in a division. His award, as previously reported, was for his peronal "bravery in the field". You are unlikely to find out more.