Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Row, Suffolk and the Centenary.

Ellen1914

I was just wondering if anyone one the forum had any information about West Row or the boys who went off to war from the village. I would like to write another book on the conflict so I am trying to gather pictures, stories, letters and general information. If anyone has any then that would be a huge help.

Kindest Regards,

Ellen.

Whilst I don't want to take away the pleasure of your research for another book, these are the CWGC entries with a West Row connection:-

BALLS, FREDERICK JAMES. Rank: Gunner. Service No: 67517. Date of Death: 23/08/1918. Age: 27.
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery. 25th Div. Amm. Col.
Grave Reference: Sp. Mem. No. 16. Cemetery: CHAUNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY BRITISH EXTENSION
Additional Information: Son of James and Ruth Balls, of West Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
BALLS, JOHN. Rank: Private. Service No: 60196. Date of Death: 22/02/1918. Age: 19.
Regiment/Service: West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own). 2nd Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 42 to 47 and 162. Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of James and Ruth Balls, of West Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
BOWLES, HARRY. Rank: Private. Service No: 10762. Date of Death: 24/03/1916. Age: 33.
Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment. 18th Bn.
Grave Reference: Plot I. Row E. Grave 29. Cemetery: CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of Harry and Charlotte Bowles, of 12, Turnerson St., New Park Rd., Salford, Manchester; husband of Mabel Bowles, of Pott Hall, West Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
FORD, ADOLPHUS WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Service No: M/283971. Date of Death: 03/07/1918. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: Army Service Corps.
Grave Reference: In far right corner. Cemetery: WEST ROW BAPTIST CHAPELYARD
Additional Information: Son of William James and Sussanah Ford.
FORD, I. Rank: Private. Service No: 722971. Date of Death: 14/10/1918.
Regiment/Service: London Regiment. 24th Bn.
Grave Reference: V. G. 30. Cemetery: ESTAIRES COMMUNAL CEMETERY AND EXTENSION
Additional Information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. W. N. Ford, of The Green, West Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
FORD, W. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 13706. Date of Death: 13/09/1916. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment. 9th Bn.
Grave Reference: X. C. 1. Cemetery: GUILLEMONT ROAD CEMETERY, GUILLEMONT
Additional Information: Son of Alfred Ford, of West Row Fen, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
FROST, WILLIAM JOHN. Rank: Private. Service No: 11927. Date of Death: 19/08/1917. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment). 10th Bn.
Grave Reference: I. D. 20. Cemetery: GODEWAERSVELDE BRITISH CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of John and Caroline Frost, of West Row Green, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
HALLS, W. Rank: Drummer. Service No: 13701. Date of Death: 30/11/1917. Age: 32.
Grave Reference: Right of chapel. Cemetery: WEST ROW BAPTIST CHAPELYARD
Additional Information: Son of James and Jane Halls, of 141, Church Road, West Row, Suffolk.
KING, ARTHUR. Rank: Private. Service No: 24878. Date of Death: Between 09/04/1918 and 19/04/1918. Age: 22.
Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment. "A" Coy. 11th Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 3. Memorial: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter King, of Pot Hall, West Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
KING, CHARLES WALTER. Rank: Sapper. Service No: 171236. Date of Death: 10/02/1919. Age: 45.
Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers. "G" Depot Coy.
Grave Reference: VI. E. 4. Cemetery: BROOKWOOD MILITARY CEMETERY
Additional Information: Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.
Son of Stephen and the late Rose King; husband of Edith Mary King, of 123, Stanhope St., Euston Rd., London.
Native of West Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk. Served in the South African Campaign.
LEONARD, G. Rank: Private. Service No: 13668. Date of Death: 30/08/1918. Age: 27.
Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment. 2nd Bn.
Grave Reference: A. 56. Cemetery: ECOUST-ST. MEIN BRITISH CEMETERY
Additional Information: Brother of Miss Sarah Leonard, of West Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
RIX, ERNEST. Rank: Private. Service No: 13707. Date of Death: 16/09/1916. Age: 21.
Panel Reference: Pier and Face 1 C and 2 A. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Robert William and Eleanor Carola Rix, of West Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
RUMBELOW, ARTHUR. Rank: Private. Service No: 13722. Date of Death: 07/12/1918. Age: 21.
Grave Reference: Cemetery WEST ROW BAPTIST CHAPELYARD
Additional Information: Son Alice Rumbelow, of West Row, Suffolk.
SMITH, JAMES DAVID. Rank: Private. Service No: 12114. Date of Death: 30/11/1917. Age: 22.
Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment. 7th Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 4. Memorial: CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL
Additional Information: Son of Joseph and Emma Smith, of Chapel Rd., West Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
TAYLOR, C. Rank: Gunner. Service No: 67516. Date of Death: 28/07/1917.
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery. "A" Bty. 110th Bde.
Grave Reference: II. B. 3. Cemetery: BRANDHOEK NEW MILITARY CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of Emma Taylor, of nr. Church, West Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
THOMPSON, A. Rank: Private. Service No: 13703. Date of Death: 29/05/1916. Age: 22.
Grave Reference: V. D. 13A. Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of Georgina Norman, of Chapel Square, West Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk. Native of West Row.
TURNER, ALBERT. Rank: Private. Service No: 39619. Date of Death: 16/03/1918. Age: 27.
Regiment/Service: Bedfordshire Regiment. 4th Bn.
Panel Reference: Bay 5. Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Mrs. Charlotte Coe, of Ferry Corner, West Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
WEBB, ALBERT EDWARD. Rank: Private. Service No: 22744. Date of Death: 24/04/1918. Age: 29.
Regiment/Service: Northamptonshire Regiment. 2nd Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 54 to 56. Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Henry Webb; husband of Ellen Elizabeth Webb, of West Row, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
WELLS, ROBERT. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 13990. Date of Death: 11/12/1916. Age: 31.
Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment. Depot
Grave Reference: Parish Council ground. Cemetery: ISLEHAM CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of Elijah and Ann Wells, of The Sluice, West Row Fen, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
Not only do you also have many WW2 RAF burials in your own Churchyard (which I assume you "adopt"?) there is:-
NORMAN, ADOLPHUS WILFRED. Rank: Sergeant. Service No: 904840. Date of Death: 25/11/1940. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. 101 Sqdn.
Panel Reference: Panel 18. Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Lewis and Bessie Florence Norman, of West Row, Suffolk.
Is this site yours?
It appears much of the research has already been done, acknowledging the GWF contribution...
1914 - 1918
Benjamin Aves
Richard Aves
Frederick Balls
John Balls
Samuel Bassett
Arthur Brown
Abram Clarke
Claud Cobbold
Jack G Crick
Walter Ford
Isaac Ford
Adolphus W Ford
William J Frost
Walter Halls
Arthur J Hayes
George Ingle
Charles King
Arthur W King
George Leonard
William Mendham
Percy G Mendham
Herbert W Morley
Henry Palmer
Frederick Prentice
Sims Reeve
Ernest Rix
Arthur Rumbelow
James D Smith
James W Stone
Arthur Stone
Charles Taylor
Alfred Thompson
Albert Turner
Moore Webb
Robert Wells
1939 - 1945
William Carpenter
Alan Edwards
Reginald Isaacson
Wilfred King
Robert Mendham
Adolphus W Norman
Pelham Rolfe
Horace Smith
Harold Fleming

I don't know if this has therefore been posted previously on GWF?

Incidentally, looks as if the 9th Battalion had a large number of village lads enlist at the same time (137xx Numbers)

Is there a story there, as to why/how they all enlisted together?

Kevin

Suffolk Soldiers is my site which I need to update too much to do not enough time.

Regards

Ray

Ellen

If I can be any help to you send me a PM.

Regards

Ray

Yeah, Una is a relative of mine. :) I have a lot of the general info on the men who died but I would also like to see some of the personal tales and things like that and maybe letters to and from family. Pics would be great as I would like to do a book like Aunty Unas but about West Row and the great war.