Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish bravery

Desmond7

I'm sure many have read books on Gallipoli and how the campaign was regarded by Allied troops.

Aside from 'I do not order you to attack - I order you to die' plus fleeting comments about the undoubted bravery of Johnny Turk, I have read very few accounts which describe Allied servicemen's eyewitness reports of just how brave Johnny Turk was ... any good ones which pals cam quickly post?

This doesnt answer your question directly but may be of interest. A couple of months ago I saw a book in Waterstone's (so recently published/re-published), which told the story of the Gallipoli campaign from the Turkish viewpoint.

I cant remember the name, the author, or whether it concentrated on using first-hand accounts but if you can identify it (can Salientpoints help?) then I think it is the only Gallipoli book from a Turkish perspective I remember seeing in English language.

Also Tim Travers' recent book on Gallipoli is the first one where a British historian has extensively used the Turkish archives.

The bravery of the Turkish soldiers does, however, come across in many British accounts - no cowardice, much daring and courage, inventiveness, etc. For example Reginald Savory in his memoir written shortly after the war states "The snipers were the worst. There was one who had been found in a tree, behind our lines, and had picked out officers. He was found and shot, in cold blood: a very gallant man." In interview in the 1970s he paid fulsome tribute "The Turkish sniper was magnificent... They were wonderfully brave men." (Both Liddle Collection, Univ of Leeds).

Des

The only two books I have of the Turkish side are [in English]

Gallipoli- The Turkish Story

by Frewster, Basarm, Basarm. ISBN 1-74114-045-5

and

Gallipoli 1915

Bloody Ridge

[Lone Pine]

Diary of Lt. Mehmed Fasih, 5th. Imperial Ottoman Army.

ISBN 975-94818-3-9

Peter

Guest stevenbec

Mate,

Almost every book I've read of our war with Turkey there are references to the great skill and bravery of the men from Turkey.

Australians where great ones for making coment on the fighting skills of other troops as they were of them selves and all records coment on this with many accounts.

They had great respect for the fight quaities of 'Johnny Turk".

When soldiers of our two armies meet again after WWI it was on the fields of Korea in 1950 and the aussie's and Turks had a great old time in freindship.

S.B

Thanks to all .. and, on Steve's last Korean war info.

Lt. Col. Colin Mitchell of the A&SH made special mention of the bravery and stoic endurance of the Turkish brigade in Korea - his autobiog is 'Having Been a Soldier'

Des

Might not be quite what you were looking for but an interesting story nontheless. It's from the 10th Light Horse unit history. It takes place during an attack on Quinn's Post by a party of the 10th LH.

"A curious incident occured during the course of this engagement which threw an interesting sidelight on the psychology of the Turk. When Lt Kidd's party attacked the enemy trench, they found it occupied by only two Turks, the remainder of the occupants having fled along the communication trench. These two fought pluckily, but, on one of them being killed, the other threw down his rifle and surrendered.

Lt Kidd treated his prisoner with the utmost kindness, in addition to giving him a cigarette, some biscuits and water. He sat in the trench and watched with great interest the efforts of our men in resisting the enemy onslaught and the returning of the Turkish bombs. When later, the party were in the act of withdrawing, a Turk of the counter-attacking party rushed at Kidd with Bayonet fixed, but the prisoner saved Kidd's life by promptly picking up his rifle and shooting his fellow-countryman dead. Kidd, seeing what had occurred, beckoned the prisoner to follow, but he merely bowed his head and waited for the inevitable settling with his own people."

I wonder what happened to him? A courageous act which would have not have been too kindly looked upon by his countrymen to say the least.

Andrew - cheers for that ! These 'barely known' stories affecting the infividual soldier are great.

Des

Des; Something on the fortitude of the ordinary Turkish soldier, regarding actions at Gully Ravine, in the Helles sector:

'Frightful Scenes In Captured Trenches

PARAPETS OF CORPSES

London, July 5

Reuter's correspondent on the Gallipoli peninsula has reported that after the fight on June 28 the Turks' trenches, especially those in the ravine and before the Boomerang Fort, presented an appalling sight. Dead Turks were lying in shallow pools of green water at the bottom of the ravine. Many had been there for months and their condition was so awful that burial was impossible.

The stench in the Boomerang trenches was frightful. The parapets had been built partly of corpses, for the Turks used the bodies of their comrades to stop bullets and after every fight covered them with earth to form parapets. The limbs of half-buried corpses protruded from the ground in the trenches. One trench was filled with half-mummified bodies.

Part of the main Boomerang trench was full of newly-killed Turks, and a dozen cricket-ball bombs lay at their feet ready for use. This trench had been occupied for weeks by men who had been shielded by the corpses of their comrades. They had been breathing a stench intolerable to British soldiers, and had walked over half-buried dead whenever they moved. They fought on in this charnel-house, knowing that their bodies also would be used to make parapets or would be trampled into the foetid clay.' (Adelaide Daily Herald 7 Jul 1915 p4).