The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Wounded in Albert area - buried at Rouen

aradgick

William George Taylor, 1/4th Royal Berkshire Regiment, died 29th July 1916, and is buried in St. Sever Cemetery, Rouen.

Although SDGW says KIA, his MIC states DoW.

As the battalion was relieved on the 25th, and spent the rest of the month resting, I am more inclined to believe the latter, especially as there were hospitals at Rouen.

The battalion had been fighting in the Albert area earlier in the month. If he was wounded there, what is the MINIMUM time that could have been expected to get a casualty to Rouen for treatment?

Andrewr

You've now had 16 views yet none has answered what is really very obvious.

Killed in Action and Died of Wounds both signify that it was battle related.

He's buried in Rouen and no one was going to allocate space in railway wagons for the dead when so many living were in extremis.

I think it safe to say therefore that his MIC is more accurate than SDGW.

As to your actual question, well, "how long is a piece of string?"

It really depends on when a man was wounded and how close to a rail centre he might be.

For example, if he fell over on the rail tracks at the Casualty Clearing Station siding he could be on that train and in a hospital in Rouen within that day.

Alternatively someone could be lying out on the battlefield for days before being recovered, and passed down the evacuation chain.

Certainly in his case it was less than 4 days, and I'd hazard a guess that probably around 2 days, so he'd have been in Rouen for 3 or 4 days perhaps before dying from his wounds.

Sorry, I don't think I can be more help.

You also have these casualties:-

WING, ALBERT GEORGE. Rank: Private. Service No: 2580. Date of Death: 29/07/1916.
Regiment/Service: Royal Berkshire Regiment. 4th Bn.
Grave Reference: A. 13. 45. Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN
Additional Information: Son of William George and Mary Frances Wing, of 92, Donnington Gardens, Reading, Berks.
BREWERTON, WALTER WYATT. Rank: Serjeant. Service No: 2478. Date of Death: 30/07/1916. Age: 31.
Regiment/Service: Royal Berkshire Regiment. "F" Coy. 1st/4th Bn.
Grave Reference: IX. B. 4A. Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. G. Brewerton, of The Bridge, Abingdon, Berks. Native of Abingdon.
GOODALL, ALFRED. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 2946. Date of Death: 28/07/1916. Age: 21
Regiment/Service: Royal Berkshire Regiment. 1st/4th Bn.
Grave Reference: B. 39. 5. Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN
Additional Information: Son of Albert E. and Annie J. Goodall, of 18, Moffatt St., Maidenhead, Berkshire.
There may be some mention in the War Diary about 2nd Lt Teed who seems to have been the last officer killed before they came out of the line.
Officers are usually noted, unlike OR's.

Thanks for your thoughts. The battalion suffered many casualties on the 23rd, and Teed died on the 24th. But they were also suffering casualties though much of the month. If five or six days is a reasonable amount of time to reach Rouen, then that's the most likely, with the proviso that he may have been wounded before then. Just needed to check I wan't jumping to a wrong conclusion.

Andrewr

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew

Interestingly the Berkshire Chronicle of 8/9/16 reported him as dow and the Reading Mercury on the 9/9/16 reported kia. Also do not forget that many dates of death were those when the casualty list was compiled not when he actually died

I don't think there is much doubt that he died of wounds - what that really means is that he was brought to a CCS before he died

John

Thanks. I think I can safely say he was wounded a few days earlier and DOW at Rouen then.

Andrewr