Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SWB

MACRAE

:ph34r: I have a Silver War Badge No b316673 how do i find out who was awarded this and what does the prefix letter b mean ?. thank you

Dan Macrae allways looking for Macrae medals :rolleyes:

:ph34r: I have a Silver War Badge No b316673 how do i find out who was awarded this and what does the prefix letter "B" mean ?. thank you

To obtain details of the Recipient of an anonymous War Badge from its Number alone you will need to contact one of those limited band of researchers,who offer that service,as evidently a breakdown code is required to access the Number Series,that give the breakdown required to find the recipient.Various researchers offer this service including :~

Great War Medals{Steve & Maggie Law}

Jonathan Collins Military Research

The letter "B" signifies an Army recipient from the later issue,the first issue being just numbers,from 1 upwards{Other services had their own Prefixes,MN,RN{RN/RM/Etc:},RAF,A{Australia}C{Canada};Etc.

I have a Silver War Badge No b316673 how do i find out who was awarded this and what does the prefix letter b mean ?. thank you

Dan

The only thing I can tell you from the badge number alone is that it was probably issued at the end of October / beginning of November 1919.

Rgds

Ed

Guest Ian Bowbrick
:ph34r: I have a Silver War Badge No b316673 how do i find out who was awarded this and what does the prefix letter "B" mean ?. thank you

To obtain details of the Recipient of an anonymous War Badge from its Number alone you will need to contact one of those limited band of researchers,who offer that service,as evidently a breakdown code is required to access the Number Series,that give the breakdown required to find the recipient.Various researchers offer this service including :~

Great War Medals{Steve & Maggie Law}

Jonathan Collins Military Research

The letter "B" signifies an Army recipient from the later issue,the first issue being just numbers,from 1 upwards{Other services had their own Prefixes,MN,RN{RN/RM/Etc:},RAF,A{Australia}C{Canada};Etc.

And if you are really lucky Steve or I will do it for nothing B)

:ph34r: Many thanks i am okay at badges ie regimental badges but the research part on the rear of these ones realy gets me, I have just returned from somme it was nice the new visitors centre at Thiepval is now open its looks more like a tourist trap and will probally by the looks of it will expand to a BUSINESS more than anything else, It was sad to see the fake badges for sale in albert museum i have no problem with fakes as long as they are marked fakes, I was given 2 badge when i was there that was found by the person field walking (tank corp) (Australian ) again thank you for help on the badge it would be nice to know whom it was issued to .