Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A southern England University and it's centenary project!

Trotter1587

My University are under taking a project over the coming year to commemorate the role a city in southern England had to play in the Great War. Part of the project includes researching residents who fought in the war as well as the war effort back home such as food production, hospitals, local ports and local campaigns to boost the war effort. Not much more has been released so far but I am proud to say I'm part of the research team for the University's 2014-18 Project! :) Websites and exhibitions will be put on display for the public to see. :)

Trotter

Good luck this Trotter ! Please keep us informed- look forward to hearing more! Regards, Michael Bully

No need to be coy about which uni, Trotter. I can't think of many southern unis that were around in WW1, so could make a guess. Others may be able to contribute to your project; there may even be some alumni here!

Mike

No need to be coy about which uni, Trotter. I can't think of many southern unis that were around in WW1, so could make a guess. Others may be able to contribute to your project; there may even be some alumni here!

Mike

What makes you assume that the university was there at the time of WW1?

I add that the University of __________ wasn't around in the First World War :thumbsup: and I would say more but I'm under top notch security as the project is part of my university assessment for this year.. As Paul Daniels might say "you'll like this" :)

Trotter

To highlight and to share with this forum a centenary project that is coming in the New Year :)

Trotter

It sounds as if might be very worthy, but at the moment you're not exactly "highlighting" it, but merely shining a dim torch!

As for "sharing", at the moment it's a bit like being told there's a cake in the larder, but not knowing when we're going to get portions. In the meantime we're already enjoying titbits from countless other communities planning to commemorate their roles in the Great War. Let's hope that by the time we are given a taste of what you have to offer we don't have indigestion!

Good luck in putting the finishing touches to your meal before you serve it!

BTW, the reference to "local ports" may be a clue.

Moonraker

Depends what you mean by "local".

Keith

Trotter liked the Dr Watson "detective" book set in the Great War

see thread

Do you think he's giving us some clues that we're meant to work out? :):rolleyes:

Moonraker

A bit of clarification needed here... :thumbsup:

University of Chichester.. various projects are being undertaken not only by the University but by local libraries, archives and other sites to research those who lived in Chichester and had links to the city. For example - Major Denys Huntingford-Hammonds DSO MC who is already commemorated near the Cloisters Chamber on the University campus. He lived on North Street in the city and was son of a principal of Bishop Otter College. Myself and others will be researching other soldiers and officers who fought.

The research also includes the surrounding area of West Sussex ... research on the Royal Sussex Regiment, the local Royal Flying Corps and the Home Front. The role of newspapers in reporting the war through events and casualties. Food production for the soldiers. Convalescent homes and hopsitals for the wounded and transport for them across the Channel to ports along the south coast. Zeppelin and German air raids too and the threat/damage they caused.

Collectively, displays and exhibitions will be put on at the University and other sites about all of this as well as websites for those other organisations involved.

That cake you mentioned, General Moonraker, any better for portion size? :)

Trotter

Katherine Slay from the West Sussex Record Office has written a book about Graylingwell as a War Hospital which I believe is already on sale from the WSRO bookshop.

Sue

Goodness me, I've been trying to guess and came up with Southampton, now we learn it's Chichester ! Please keep us informed. Glad that local newspapers are being consulted, a source which can get overlooked. Am always interested in learning about everyday Home Front activity as well as tributes to those who fought.

Wishing you success

Michael Bully

Trotter, is this part of the West Sussex Great War Project, or something different?

Katherine Slay's book is now available from West Sussex Records Office. Katherine is also giving a talk on Graylingwell Hospital on 28th January at West Sussex Records Office.

Mandy

... That cake you mentioned, General Moonraker, any better for portion size? :)

Trotter

....That cake you mentioned, General Moonraker, any better for portion size? :)

Trotter

Looks very tasty, and certainly worth a nibble or two.

Moonraker

(I'll see if I can get you promoted to sergeant before Christmas.)

Trotter, is this part of the West Sussex Great War Project, or something different?

Yes, that does sound about right (though that's news to me!). With £90,000 being granted by the Heritage Lottery Fund for a range of projects across West Sussex - all apart from the University side of things. :) I believe Tangmere and Worthing Library are amongst those sites being granted money for projects.

And thank you Michael! :)

Trotter