Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

James Bibby

stripeyman

I hope that chums will indulge me with this request. BTW I have tried to click on the fourteeneighteen site but my PC will have none of it. So, a good friend of 20 odd years had a grandfather who served in the Great War but has no knowledge of him and I would like to help. All we have is James Bibby born 1891 in St Helens, Lancs.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you, Bob Grundy

Birth registered in Prescot (3.8 miles from St Helens) - 4th / 1891

1911 census has him as a "Milkman on a farm", living with his parents at Bleak Hill, Windle, St Helens

Brothers - John, 1899 / Albert, 1894

Hth

Hi Bob, How are the Saladins coming along?

The only James Bibby that I can find who may be relevant was born in 1891 and living at 48 Old Rd A-in-M. He was a 'motor driver' and enlisted in the ASC on 6th November 1915. Number was M2/139225. Went to France 25/2/16. Served with 56 Divisional Supply Column until 30th July 1919. Next of kin was 'father', but no name on service record.

regards,

Kevin

Edited to add. There's no James Bibby in the 1911 Census for Ashton, so possibly the family moved between 1911 and 1915?

Thank you both for the prompt reply.

Saladins Kevin ??? best if you give me a ring and I will tell you. GWF police will be none too pleased if I go on about 1950's armoured vehicles here.

Speaking with John Alexander the grandson today he says that his family never lived in Ashton in Makerfield so the chap from Old Road is not the man.

The St. Helens Absent Voters List has:

1918: James Bibby, 85 Horace Street, 31037 Pte Cheshire Regt

1918: James Bibby, 239 Speakman Road, 428085 Cpl R.E.

cheers

Dave

By the way, re birth above, Prescot was the registration district for St. Helens then.

Dave

The Bibby that was in the Cheshire Regt could possibly be the man as the g/son has a vague, wispy like memory of the word Cheshire being associated with him. Thanks for this, Bob

In DaveR's post above,

The Bibby in the RE was born in 1883 and was a carpenter, so the birth year will rule him out

Grant

• 3 weeks later...

There was a James Bibby who served with the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. He appears in a wounded list published 25th April 1918

25th-April-1918 Loyal North Lancashire Regiment Private James 202684 Bibby St. Helens Wounded