Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Staff Officers: GHQ, Army, Corps, Division, in 1915

Patrick Watt

Hello all

Just wondering if there is a list somewhere (or if anyone knows) who were the staff officers at GHQ and present with the various levels of BEF command during the battles of Neuve Chapelle, Aubers Ridge, Festubert, and Givenchy in March-June 1915?

Anyone have any ideas?

All the best

Patrick

I am looking for names of the individuals from the highest ranking staff officer to the bottom

Patrick

Hello Patrick

For commanders and senior staff officers you can find their names in the six volumes of A F Becke's Order of Battle of Divisions (the lasy volume covers Corps and above). There is similar information in the British Official History volumes - usually as "Appendix 1". Otherwise you will have to look at the formation War Diaries.

There was a periodic publication "Composition of Headquarters, British Armiews in France" but I think that these were usually destroyed when a new edition was issued. I have seen a copy for Dec 1918 and there may be others somewhere in the National Archives.

Good hunting!

Ron

Hi Ron

Thanks for this! I had seen Becke's work on the regular divisions but hadn't spotted the final volume. And just checked my copy of the 1915 Official History (part 1) and it does have the names of some of the senior staff personnel. I wonder if there is anything on more junior staff? Will have a dig around the TNA on my next visit.

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Nigel, I'll check the catalogue.