Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Nigeria Regiment War Diary

HarryBettsMCDCM

Would any Pal have knowledge of the Existence & Whereabouts of the War Diary of the 4th Nigerian Regiment,for the period 1914~1917,I am particularly interested in any mention of Civilian{later S.M.}Armourer Thomas Bernard Insley,of Worcester,who served with this unit; indeed once breaking both legs falling into a Trench & on another occassion removing a Bullet from his own stomach with a Clasp knife!!;{it is any mention of this genre I am interested in ,hopefully entries were made concerning him};He sadly was among those lost on a Hospital/Troopship sinking in 1917,On his way back to Blighty

• 2 weeks later...

Spooky,

I have been meaning to research one particular man properly for a long time. He is 8699 CSM Albert Victor ROWE, Dorsetshire Regt, attached 4/Nigeria Regt, W.A.F.F. Likewise my man lost his life when the SS Barutu sunk after being in collision with another vessel whilst approaching Liverpool on the night 3rd/4th October 1918. He had previously served as a Cpl in the Dorsets with the BEF in France, earning a 1914 Star and bar trio. He got a 'blighty one', but on recovery was shipped off to Africa. However his transport was torpedoed and sunk. He survived this and got safely back to the UK. He was sent out again to Africa and made it this time. He served with the 4/Nigeria Regt - I don't even know where they saw service - and was returning home just before the armistice, only for his ship to sink under him and be drowned. Tragic. As you can imagine, especially after I miraculously managed to re-unite his medals and unique named plaque, they take pride of place in my collection.

Regards

Steve

The Nigerian force (not sure if 4th) along with KAR, Gold Coast rifles and Baluchis were involved in German East Africa from late 1916 to replace European and South African troops who were incapacitated by malaria etc. These formed the main infantry force in the push down to the Rufigi and hence to Portugese East Africa. Possibly best source of info is the South African archives if NA does not have.

Possibly best source of info is the South African archives if NA does not have.

Just a stab in the dark...How about the Foreign & Commonwealth Office archives

All The Best

Chris

Much Food For Thought Thank You All! :)

Harry,

Just idling away here as one does!!

The 1st Battalion of 1914 was the former 1st Bn Northern Nigeria Regiment. The 2nd Battalion of 1914 was the former 2nd Bn Northern Nigeria Regiment. The 3rd Battalion of 1914 was the former 3rd Bn Northern Nigeria Regiment. The 4th Battalion of 1914 (which is the subject of this paper), was the former 2nd Bn, Southern Nigeria Regiment (and thus the former Lagos Battalion, former Lagos Constabulary, former Hausa Constabulary, former Hausa Militia (or Guard) and original "Glover’s Hausas.") On the other hand, the 5th Battalion of 1914 was the former 1st Battalion, Southern Nigeria Regiment.

Various re-designations have occurred since then. The 4th battalion, however, retained its number, as part of The Nigeria Regiment, although, along with other Nigerian battalions it was rotated from time to time from one part of the country to another. During World War 1, when the number of battalions was expanded to nine (9), it was known as the 4th regiment, West African Frontier Force, attached to the Kings Own Lancaster Regiment.

World War 1

As the 4th regiment, they were drafted in late 1914 to take part in the British invasion of German Kamerun, which ended in 1916 after which they were later deployed as part of the campaign against Von Lettow in East Africa until 1918. On the home front, in 1916, Lugard deployed troops in an internal security role to crush an Egba uprising, killing 500 - 1000 Egbas over two months.

So worth looking at KOLR and at my source below

http://www.omoigui.com/nigerian_military_history/

Better still check out :-

WO 95/5332/5347/5325 East Africa and the Camaroons (Nigerian Brigade)

WO 158/542 Camaroons European Casualties.(Nigerian brigade)

Rupert,

Excellent link - thanks very much. All the more pertinent as I now work (offshore) Nigeria!

Regards

Steve