The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help needed o field post office and censor stamps

Guest Miss DTP

I am trying to find out about a post card, sent on 10th December 1915 by 3904 Private J Shippen. It has two stamps on it. One is circular and black saying Field Post Office 62. The other is triangular and red, saying passed by censor no. 2155. Can anyone give me any information about where the card was sent from please, or anything else that might be useful? I don't know if there's any connection to the two stamps but there's also a pencilled signature that looks like C S Burrows.

Thanks in anticipation.

If you use the forum search [Field post offices, censor stamps etc] I think there may be some general info

Hi

Field Post Office 62 was being used by HQ 62nd Brigade of 21st Division.

Censor Stamp Type 3 (Triangle)2155 was used by 14th Northumberland Fusiliers the Divisional Pioneer battalion.

Charles Selss Burrows was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the battalion on 26 January 1915 and entered France with the battalion on 8/9/1915.

He was promoted Captain was awarded the Military Cross and killed in Action on 28/5/1918, has no known grave and is commemorated on the

Soissons Memorial to the Missing in France.

regards

John

Thanks

But not quite good enough for me - I didn't research the MC award which if it had been my own I would have done - also what about the sender?

His MIC shows he was a Cpl in the Black Watch, trf MGC, TRF Labour Corps, Trf R Fusiliers and has a Newcastle address on it, still a lot of info to be traced on that card.

regards

John

Wow, thanks for all of that. I'm really pleased I bought the card at the weekend. It was the envelope that finally persuaded me, but I hadn't seen a card like it before anyway (To my old chum).

I need to find out more about the sender now if I can. Does the provided information about Black Watch, etc relate to him or am I being a bit dim? You're probably right about the address, as the card was sent to an address in West Allotment.

Many thanks for your help. I'm now on a mission to find out more!

Vivien

Be careful you will get bitten and start buying cards left right and centre.

You need to get hold of a copy of, "History of the British Army Postal Service 1903 - 1927", By E B Proud. This will explain all the various types of post marks with prefixes and suffixes etc and the security changes from 1916 onwards. There is a similar work by Kennedy and Crabbe.

There is also a work by F W Daniel "The Field Censor Systems of the Armies of the British Empire 1914 - 1918 Unit Allocations", unfortunately he died before it was finished and the work only covers up to Censor type 4 Hexagon 1916.

Yes the comments about regiments relate to Shippen and his transfers between regiments.

regards

John

• 4 weeks later...

Glenn,

Thanks for the reply. He is an Aisne casualty, hence my interest, mentioned very briefly in the 14 NF WD on the 27 May, but no mention of his death the next day.

In fact cannot find anything about him on Ancestry and CWGC says very little.

A bit of a mystery.

David

Captain Charles Selso Burrows,NF, file WO339/2431.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, Capt Charles S. Burrows was a pupil at The High School Dublin. His name is on the memorial that hangs on the wall there for all the past pupils who died in WWI. We are collecting information on him as part of a War Stories Centenary Project. Thank you so much for all the information that you have collected here. If anyone has any photos of him or letters from him, we would love to hear from you. Our plan is to bring those past pupils listed on the war memorial to life for the school community, so such material would be highly valued, and cherished, by us all.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards, Clarissabell,

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Iam really hoping someone may be able to help me please? I have a series of letters dated throughout 1918 which all have the censor stamp 2155 but in a rectangle, does anyone know any more about this please? Or could point me in the right direction - I have been struggling to find this gentleman for many years and am hoping this clue may help my research. Many thanks for your time, Alice.