Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map for 57c.5.16 b 6.3

Ogbert

I have been informed that a relative of mine was originally buried here after being killed on 14th July 1916.

Would anyone be able to help me to find out where this location is, and how close it was to the action that day?

Hi name was George Sanders of the 7th East Yorks Regiment.

Thank you.

Ogbert,

the green spot bellow the 3 measures up to the reference that you give and that is pretty much where George is buried in plot II. H. 3 in Caterpillar Valley Cemetery. He couldn't have been much closer to the action that day, it was the front line and just to confirm he was with the 8th Battalion and not the 7th

Jon

post-15439-0-74748600-1386030187_thumb.j

post-15439-0-69319200-1386030497_thumb.j

Jon

Great overlay

Roger

Jon

Great overlay

Roger

Was thinking the same thing myself, there are some very clever chaps on this forum.

Fantastic work.

Jon,

Thank you very much for your terrific help with this. I was not expecting such a helpful response, but you have exceeded my expectations. Thank you!

Thank you also for pointing out that he was in the 8th and not the 7th battalion.

I went to Caterpillar Valley 4 years ago and found the grave. I had not fully appreciated that this was actually the front line on the day he died.

I heard though that men were buried in makeshift graves as the war proceeded, and that in the few years following many were exhumed and re-buried.

I would be interested to know whether the temporary grave was actually where the Caterpillar Valley cemetery is. There was a suggestion that he might have been buried originally at Martinpuich, but I have no evidence for this.

Thanks again!

Hi Ogbert

He was not buried in Caterpillar Cemetery originally. Plot II are all graves that were moved here. Plot I are the original graves.

But going by the overlay map in post 2. he was very close by, and by the looks near where the NZ Memorial is, give or take.

Cheers