Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maps for Battle of Broodseinde Oct 1917

David Lea

I am researching the military history of my Gt Uncle, Gunner George Croft, RFA, who arrived in France in Oct 1915 and was killed in action 4th October 1917 whilst serving with C Bty 74th Bde RFA and buried at Canada Farm. I understand, that the 74th Brigade was attached to the Guards Division at this time and I have since discovered that this period was part of the 3rd Ypres Campaign and the Battle of Broodseinde took place on the day George died, I am therefore presuming George was killed during the preliminary artillery bombardments at Broodseinde.

The Brigade War Diaries mention a number of places in the month leading up to George's death, including Lapin Farm (Brigade HQ) and shelling of BOESINGHE, WIJDENDRIFT, CRAPOUILLOT, GREEN MILL dressing station, NEY wood and NEY copse, BROEMBECK and Rest billets at HERZEELE.

I'd be grateful if anybody has maps to cover these locations to help me put the diary entries into some sort of geographical context and in particular, do any maps exist to show the artillery positions for the Battle of Broodseinde?

Many thanks in anticipation.

David

David

Canada Farm Cemetery is approx 5 miles NW of Ypres which would suggest that George Croft died of wounds.

Lapin Farm and Green Mill are NW of Pilkem, approx 1500 yards from the canal bank at Boesinghe, and Wijdenrift is just north of Langemarck.

The Guards Division was involved in the Battle of Poelkapelle on 9 October.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you a map of the area.

Regards

John