Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Balfour

nilved

Andrew Balfour, b West Wemyss, Fife 1896, d 1978. The back of this picture states Palestine 27th July 1917. Obviously a Scottish Regiment, but which one? Can anybody identify from the photograph attached?

Thanks,

Jim Devlin

post-1-1096355922.jpg

The same Andrew Balfour as the above post (Palestine 27th July 1917).

Completely different uniform this time and note the spurs. Same regiment? Can anyone identify this uniform? Thanks.

Jim Devlin

post-1-1096358706.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Well he is wearing the uniform of a mounted soldier ie he rode a horse. And the cap badge looks like the Fife & Forfar Yeomanry, so I think you can positively ID your ancestor from the MICs.

Ian :)

Ian, Thanks for the lead.

The site shows:

Andrew Balfour - Royal Highlanders/Yorkshire Dragoons - Private

Also,

Andrew Balfour - Royal Highlanders/Fife and Forfar Yeomanry - Corporal

No stripes in either photo - inclined to the first one?

Must ask the family for more info.

Regards,

Jim Devlin

• 1 year later...

Hi Ian,

I'm from Coaltown of Wemyss, and work in the village and in West Wemyss. Can you email me a copy of the photo and I'll see if I can find any local connection to your Andrew Balfour. I see no image with your original posting, and have problems viewing images on other bits of the site, seeing a wee red cross where photos should be.

I'm also ex Fife and Forfar so may be able to identify the uniform and badge.

Jake

Hello Jim

I suspect Andrew probably enlisted at Denbeath I can't access the Photos but It's very likely that what I've written below is the case, I have been researching someone from East Wemyss who was originally F&F.

The 1/1 Fife and Forfar Yeomanry were in the middle east from 1915 - 1918 Galipoli - Palistine during that time they were un horsed and became became dismounted cavary before becoming fully fledged infantry The 14th ( F & F YEO. ) Bn Royal Highland Rgiment ( Black Watch ) in Dec 1916. If you want any more info I have a book written by Maj D.D. Ogilvie writen in 1920 some good stories and pictures. At the end of July 1917 the Battn was near Gazza training for Open warfare and managed a couple of games of polo ( Officers ). He is also likley to have two service Nos his F&F No would have been a four digit No.

TOM