Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Best database format for Virtual War Memorial

Mark Hone

A few years ago, with the aid of a couple of computer literate pupils I compiled part of a prototype Bury Virtual War Memorial with obituary information and photos from local newspapers and other sources and links to the CWGC database. After a short 'live' period I lost the host site and with various other things going on, the project went into limbo. I now have the chance to put it online again but the database format I originally used was not ideal for searching by name, address etc. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good, preferably not expensive, database software to use? I do want to include photographs and possibly some scanned documents, pictures etc. When complete, I estimate that some 2,000+ individuals would be recorded.

I uploaded my original spreadsheet to a wordpress site and then use that so I can add pics etc to the records.

I keep the spreadsheet as a master record..

You can only import from the spreadsheet if you self host wordpress or use the premium service. The free service doesn't let you import from a spreadsheet.

Craig

Wordpress is not a database! It is a database driven piece of software as, indeed are Joomla, Drupal, CMSMS and many more like it.

You need a hosting package that offers MySQL database, with PHPMyAdmin. Preferably the latest version of each. Cost for hosting circa £26 pa. The database & PHPMyadmin are free as part of the hosting. The only other realistic option is to use the Microsoft database system but this is not recommended. MySQL is really the only game in town unless you have terrabytes of data.

You can import data direct in to a MySQL database from a variety of formats-XLS, CSV, SQL and a number of others.

You do need, of course, Wordpress, Joomla etc to create and manage the front-end pages and data presentation but the back-end data is purely via MySQL and should really be handled, in terms of importing, via direct server access. You will need server access anyway in order to set up database security protocols and to actually create the database(s). You could not run programs like Wordpress (free as most are of course) without prior setup via the server.

Hope this is helpful

Martin

Mark

I tried to send you a PM but was told I could not.

Over to you.

Regards

Martin

Martin-sorry, my folder seems to fill up automatically even when I think that I've deleted conversations. I have definitely cleared some space now.