Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Ships lost at sea

tootrock

I have today had an e-mail from findmypast telling me about a new feature called WW1 Ships lost at sea. This appears to relate to a card index, National Archive ADM 242/6, and shows scans of the cards. The card details do not appear up-to-date, e.g. HMS Aboukir is stated to have been lost with 25 casualties, Cressy 25, and Hogue 12!

What is the point in retaining archives that are so inaccurate?

Any comments?

Martin

What is the point in retaining archives that are so inaccurate?

Any comments?

Martin, Inaccurate they may be, but, nevertheless, a historical record contemporary to the time of loss. Doubtless every other record held by TNA is totally accurate :whistle:

NigelS

I cannot understand why the figure 25 is used for the casualties of the Aboukir. Surely by the time the news of the sinking reached the authorities it would have been obvious that a major loss of life had taken place. The newspapers were reporting a major disaster almost immediately. Since the cards were in use until the end of the war surely the figures could have been updated. And what was the purpose of the cards in the first place?

In August 1915 HMS India is reported sunk with 10 killed, 1 died, 11 interned - only a fraction of the actual losses.

Martin