The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

J.A.Fletcher

edith clifford

My uncle Joseph Arthur Fletcher, served with the Royal Gloucester Hussar (cavalry). I found him listed in

the 1911 census as being in India (military).Also have a photo dated 1916 in uniform (RGH)

Any info would be welcome.

Frank

I think this is your man

From the National Archives http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D3501166

Medal card of Fletcher, Joseph A

Gloucestershire Yeomanry 3077 (incomplete) Private

Machine Gun Corps Cavalry 11054 (incomplete) Private

The Gloucestershire Yeomanry were also known as the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars.

I'm not sure about this but I do not think they would ever have been in India.

From memory (and there is a thread somewhere on the Forum) men from a number of Yeomanry units joined the MGC (Cavalry) in Egypt in 1916 as part of the Imperial Camel Corps.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Ken

I have pretty much elm[nated uncle from India. The birth place is not the same as ucles even the name is JAFletcher.

The one you supplied is best chance right., as the RGH is right for his hat badge.

Would the Gloucester Chronicle have any photos?

Thanks again

Frank

There is an excellent museum at Gloucester. It is part of the Gloucester Docks area. 'Regiments of Gloucester' and deals with the Royal Gloucester Hussars (Yeomanry) and the Goucestershire Regt. It has a great deal on the Yeomanry, including WW1.Could be that they have archives with photographs, certainly some on display.

Tony P

• 2 weeks later...

There is an excellent museum at Gloucester. It is part of the Gloucester Docks area. 'Regiments of Gloucester' and deals with the Royal Gloucester Hussars (Yeomanry) and the Goucestershire Regt. It has a great deal on the Yeomanry, including WW1.Could be that they have archives with photographs, certainly some on display.

Tony P

Thank you Tony for the info. I shall try contacting the museum and see how that goes. I am hopeful that perhaps I can find a newspaper clipping with some info, but so far no luck Thanks again Frank