Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/4th Bn. Suffolk Regt. July 15, 1916?

David_Bluestein

Could some kind member with some knowledge of the Suffolks please tell me what the 4th Battalion was doing at the Somme on July 15, 1916.

Any advice would be gratefully received with much thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

David

Morning,

They were in support of an attack on Switch Trench

"15/7/16. 6am The battalion moved to support 1st Middlesex Regiment in an attack on Switch Trench. "A" and "B" Companies formed the first line and "C" and "D" Companies the second. A line immediately in front of the village of Bezantin-le -Petit was eventually taken up and held throughout the day"

Spelling as diary,

Regards,

Graeme

Thank you so very much Graeme for this, just what I was hoping for.

May I take advantage of your generosity and ask if there is any mention of a Lieut. Packard in and around this date? He is shown to have been killed on July 15, but maybe there's a mention of his death a day or two later?

Thank you again Graeme really appreciate this.

Regards,

David

Hi Graeme,

Great, thanks again.

Do you know if this Battalion has regimental history, or other references that would shed light on their activities both at the Somme and earlier?

Regards,

David

Hi David

The War Diary is available as a download from

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4555578&isFullDescription=False

if that helps. It covers 4 Battalion Suffolk Regiment 1915 Nov. - 1918 Jan. I'm not aware of a regimental history myself,

Regards,

Graeme

PS His service record is here

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?Uri=C1080869

David

There is a regimental history (The History of the Suffolk Regiment 1914-27 by Lt Col Murphy) which includes the attached paragraph on the action.

Kind regards

Colin

post-47743-0-94002400-1385667978_thumb.j

That's great Colin, thank you for taking the time to do this; it's not the first time you've come the rescue!

It looks like despite being in 'reserve' the 4th were heavily engaged and suffered accordingly.

Kind regards,

David