Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Royal Lancs - April 1917

Simon Brown

Please bear with me as I am trying to find out a bit more about the final few days of Pte 27126 Frank Beacock from South Ferriby. I have found his service papers on ancestry which give me a lot of information. I have also found that he was buried at Haute Avesnes British Cemetery having died of wounds on 12th April 1917. At this time from the information on his service papers he was serving with the 1st Royal Lancs. I am hoping that some kind person will be able to tell me what the 1st Royal Lancs were doing and which trenches they were in at the beginning of April 1917.

Thankyou

Simon

Hi Simon

You will probably be aware that he enlisted in the Lincolnshire Regiment with regimental number 19359 prior to transferring to the KORL.

The War Diary is available to download for just over 3 quid from

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4554657&isFullDescription=False

If you have the WD you will be able to follow his service prior to his wounding. Does his service record have the date of wounding ??

Regards,

Graeme

Hello Graham

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of the war diary. as far as I can tell from his service papers he served with the 7th Lincolnshire's prior to his transfer. The information on his wounding is that he was wounded and died on 12th April. The records states if I have read the abbreviations correctly that he suffered a wound to the abdomen and was treated by 27 Field Ambulance before he died all on the same day.

thank you

Simon

Hi Simon

Don't download all the diaries - I can send you the necessary extracts from April. I have other material as well but don't have time tonight.

Will get back on here tomorrow or later in the week. Your man was basically involved in the 1st Battle of the Scarpe at Arras in April 1917, If you look up Arras here on the Forum you will get a great deal of background information and photographs. The area you are interested in is that north of the Scarpe towards Gavrelle. That is where 4th Division were fighting at the time.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim

Thanks for that very kind offer, which I must apologize, I have only just seen. As you may have guessed I have in the meantime downloaded the diary from the link above, but thanks anyway for your offer.

Simon