Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6 inch howitzers

john w.

This follows my other thread about the 326th Siege Battery in Units..

They evidently had 6" howitzers, what was their range? whereabouts would they be in relation to the fighting?

Just minor details but would help

Cheers

John

They would require reasonable lines of communication ie roads for horse transport or light railways in some cases.They would require some form of concealment where possible ie reverse slopes or woods. They would need to be positioned in such a way as to provide both the range and lateral cover for the particular group they were allocated to. Obviously these conditions were not always available especially in devastated landscapes. this increased the workload by frequent movements to foil counterbattery actions by the Germans. The 6" Guns were of Vickers manufacture in general covering different Marks.

Photgraph cut from original by Capt F. Hurley

The range of the 6" howitzer increased as it was upgraded and as shells were improved. Hogg writes:

'The maximum range was increased from 5,200 yds to 9,500 yds, and during the war an 85 lb shell was developed which allowed the range to be increased to 11,400 yds.'

I have read of occasions where these guns were placed very near the British front line, especially if they were engaging targets that were deep inside German territory. By the late war, the German principle of defense-in-depth meant that German artillery was well back behind the front line and strong points were liberally scattered throughout the defensive zones. The latter, including fortified farms, purpose-built blockhouses and bunkers, etc were favoured targets because of the plunging fire and the calibre of shell fired by the howitzer. Sometimes, 6" howitzers were used to fire secondary barrages, parallel to but beyond the main creeping barrage that protected the advancing infantry.

Robert

I have read of occasions where these guns were placed very near the British front line

25th October 1918 batteries of 73rd Army brigade RGA were moved to within 2000 yds of the front line in order to engage the deep defences referred to by Robert and to reach major communication centres (Leval Rail Junction) during the advance . The german batteries continued throught this period because they were placed well back.

Here is a map of the artillery dispositions for the Battle of Arras. I apologise if it is not too clear. However, you should be able to make out the collections of HAGs (Heavy Artillery Groups) scattered on the left side of the map. These included 6" howitzers. As you can see, a reasonable distance from the front line.

Robert

post-23-1096324241.jpg

There is a problem concerning the 6 in guns there were three in service during WW1 the BL 6in 30 cwt Howitzer introduced in sevice 1896 Ammn Shrapnel Wt of shell 118.5 lbs. BL 6 in 26 cwt Howitzer Mk1 developed in 1915 to replace the earlier 25 cwt and 30 cwt models. Max range 11,400 yds Ammn Shrapnel & HE weight of shell 86 lb. I have'nt any details of the 6 in 25 cwt

John