Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GW Medal Ribbons (British)

Khaki

When displaying/wearing full size medals, what is the official length of the ribbon, are they (the medals) supposed to hang so that the lowest point on each medal are equal or do they hang based solely on the ribbon length?

thanks

khaki

All of the medals I have had mounted, including my own officially mounted, the exposed ribbon length is around 40 - 42 mm.

Mick

Thanks Mick,

With some medals GW, being different shapes, sizes, weights and with different suspensions, they hang differently when suspended on the same ribbon length. Should the medals be centered, ie., the center point of each medals be approximately equal so that with a '14/15 star' its lowest point would hang slightly lower than the WM next to it, A similar issue with the VM , with the ribbon 'gathered' through the suspension loop it does not hang equal to the WM on the same length of ribbon. I know I can adjust them so that optically they will appear correct, I just wondered what the 'official' instructions were.

khaki

Thanks Mick,

With some medals GW, being different shapes, sizes, weights and with different suspensions, they hang differently when suspended on the same ribbon length. Should the medals be centered, ie., the center point of each medals be approximately equal so that with a '14/15 star' its lowest point would hang slightly lower than the WM next to it, A similar issue with the VM , with the ribbon 'gathered' through the suspension loop it does not hang equal to the WM on the same length of ribbon. I know I can adjust them so that optically they will appear correct, I just wondered what the 'official' instructions were.

khaki

Hi Khaki,

I would have thought, and this is the way I display them, that the point of the star should be in line with the centre line (horizontal) of both the BWM and VM discs. This way they look much neater and in line with each other, consequently all the ribbons will vary in length with relation to each other. Sorry, but I am unable to post a picture to demonstrate this for you.

Robert