The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bradford Pals Cigarette Case.

Grandpacarr

Hi I wonder if anyone can help : As a collector of anything at all connected to the Bradford Pals IE Ephemera, Badges, and the home front in Bradford.

I have just bought an item from our favourite Internet Site. A cigarette case in EPNS with an enamel badge affixed to the lid with the Bradford City Coat of Arms, The badge has on it, the inscription "With best wishes from the citizens of Bradford--as an appreciation".

I can remember reading about these cigarette cases being distributed to all the pals somewhere, but for the life of me just can`t remember where I read it.

Can anyone recall which book this information is in??? Many thanks for any help you can give me on this Subject.

I don't recall it appearing in either of the books on the pals. The oval tins yes, but not these.

Keith

Hi I wonder if anyone can help : As a collector of anything at all connected to the Bradford Pals IE Ephemera, Badges, and the home front in Bradford.

I have just bought an item from our favourite Internet Site. A cigarette case in EPNS with an enamel badge affixed to the lid with the Bradford City Coat of Arms, The badge has on it, the inscription "With best wishes from the citizens of Bradford--as an appreciation".

I can remember reading about these cigarette cases being distributed to all the pals somewhere, but for the life of me just can`t remember where I read it.

Can anyone recall which book this information is in??? Many thanks for any help you can give me on this Subject.

Is this the cigarette case ?

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-09752400-1385474902_thumb.j

LF Thank you for posting the photograph - I had not heard or seen of these before. I assume that these cases are in the same vane as tribute medallions/Certificates issued by numerous Towns to the men who served during the War?

Sepoy

LF Thank you for posting the photograph - I had not heard or seen of these before. I assume that these cases are in the same vane as tribute medallions/Certificates issued by numerous Towns to the men who served during the War?

Sepoy

Yes, these were a Town's token of appreciation, given to men from that Town who served in the Great War.

As Keith mentioned, there was also a Bradford Pals ' oval ' box, which was a presentation snuff box.

LF

post-63666-0-76411400-1385485175_thumb.j

There are two versions of the oval 'snuff' boxes, one for men who served in the pals battalions, and one for Bradford Territorials. Both of these turn up regularly on eBay.

I am no expert, bu had not heard of the cigarette cases, and the one just acquired gave my first news of them when I saw it listed.

Keith

Hi

post #5 shows the Bradford pals tin issued early in the war, the other oval tin which was given to the territorials has the Bradford crest surrounded by In honour of Bradford Territorials1914-5 in a garter. I picked up a Territorials tin at a militaria fair a couple of weeks ago for the pricely sum of £7, I thought it was a Pals tin but a friend who is a font of knowledge on all things Bradford Pals put me right and sent me the below

Rivalry between the Bradford Territorials and Pals lasted until modern times, the Territorials always playing second fiddle in public memory although their service record was much better (they went out in mid 15 and got pretty much wiped out at Thiepval on 1/7/16, whereas both Pals battalions only arrived in France in mid 16 and got it at Serre on the same day). It was me who actually managed to ensure Bradford Council finally included the Bradford Territorials in their annual ceremony for the Bradford Pals, as a final act of reconciliation! I knew a few veterans of the 6th, none of whom had a good word for the Pals (nor the Australians either).
The Empire Theatre may have sponsored the tins, but they were formally presented not handed out to any soldier entering their theatre (the Pals got free tickets there anyway, if in uniform or wearing the nice lapel badge).
1770 Pals were not killed at Serre on 1/7/16, actually only 1200 from both battalions actually attacked. They lost about 1100 of whom the vast majority were wounded or initially missing, not killed.
It is always possible to differentiate between a member of the Bradford Pals and Bradford Territorials from an early war photograph, despite identical cap badges...The uniforms of the Pals were individually tailored to fit and made of the best (reserved) cloth (doesn't it show!). Their Territorial counterpart just had to make do with what they were given and consequently their uniforms rarely fitted! No prizes for guessing which battalions arms the smart girls preferred to walk out with on a Sunday.

I hope that this is of some assistance

regards

Davei

Hello, Keith, LF, Sepoy, and Dave,

I would very much like to thank you guys for posting on this subject, As previously stated I collect anything I can find on the Bradford Pals, the only exception being Medals which are (1) horrendously expensive and (2) a step too far with my collecting.

I am lucky enough to own some of the oval snuff box`s to both the Pals and the 6th West York's ,I Had read about the Cigarette Box`s that are the subject of this post somewhere but I had never seen one until this one appeared on eBay. Thank you LF for the Photo of your Item, I tried hard to load some photo`s of mine onto the site but I could not resize theme small enough to be accepted. Does anyone know who paid for these Cigarette Box`s to be made and when were they distributed to the guys. Thank you for any help in this matter.

"Rivalry between the Bradford Territorials and Pals lasted until modern times, the Territorials always playing second fiddle in public memory although their service record was much better (they went out in mid 15 and got pretty much wiped out at Thiepval on 1/7/16, whereas both Pals battalions only arrived in France in mid 16 and got it at Serre on the same day)".

The 16th and 18th Bns (or 1st and 2nd Bradford Pals) West Yorkshire Regt., actually sailed for Egypt on 7/12/15 and landed in France on 7/3/16, so they were in France for 4 months prior to 1/7/16 and not a matter of days as suggested above.

Just thought that I would straighten the record. :thumbsup:

Robert

Hi Robert,

only a quick quote that a friend sent me and not a definitive date, however I have checked other sources and a couple state the arrival on the 6th March

regards

Dave

Exact dates are often an issue. For units that went from the mainland UK to France often overnight, it is not that unusual to find some quoting departure dates, and others the disembarkation date. As the Pals sailed from Egypt to the French coast, and I don't have access to diaries or to books here, it is more than possible that after reaching Marseilles they remained on the vessels overnight.

Keith