Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where to Find Searchable Roll for Territorial Force Efficiency Medal?

gordon92

I am hoping to attract some help in researching a Seaforth Highlanders territorial soldier who won the MC and who I think also holds the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal. I cannot seem to find a TFEM roll on the NA site. The man's MIC makes no mention of the TFEM but neither does it show that he won the MC which is clearly noted in the Edinburgh Gazette. Can anyone suggest where I can find the TFEM roll?

The soldier is Lt. Gregor Charles Allan Robertson who was commissioned in 1916 and served with the 6th Seaforth during which he won the MC. I suspect that he had a military life prior to commissioning possibly as a regular OR with the 18th Hussars and possibly as an OR in the Territorials.

If someone has access to the TFEM roll, I would be even more appreciative for a lookup. His forename may also be spelled Grigor and his second middle name may also be cited as Allen.

Thanks for any help.

• 9 months later...

I found my great grandfather's TFEM by searching his surname + service number in the following format: Peck AND 1316. That may give you the means by which to find the medal card for the TFEM. As for a roll, you would have to identify the Army Order (A.O.) associated. I would have to identify the serial number for these in the NA for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Ledger WO329/3272 at the NA has Officer medals for the Seaforths,the Catalogue entry mentions TF War Medal but I am wondering if TFEM pages are also in the same Ledger,otherwise the content of the ledger is going to be pretty light,usually around 300 pages (x 12 or so names a page) in a Ledger and I can't imagine thousands of Officers from the Seaforths entitled to a TFEM !

I am hoping to attract some help in researching a Seaforth Highlanders territorial soldier who won the MC and who I think also holds the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal. I cannot seem to find a TFEM roll on the NA site. The man's MIC makes no mention of the TFEM but neither does it show that he won the MC which is clearly noted in the Edinburgh Gazette. Can anyone suggest where I can find the TFEM roll?

The soldier is Lt. Gregor Charles Allan Robertson who was commissioned in 1916 and served with the 6th Seaforth during which he won the MC. I suspect that he had a military life prior to commissioning possibly as a regular OR with the 18th Hussars and possibly as an OR in the Territorials.

If someone has access to the TFEM roll, I would be even more appreciative for a lookup. His forename may also be spelled Grigor and his second middle name may also be cited as Allen.

Thanks for any help.

Just about to fire up the laptop (pop the hamster back on his wheel). I'll check for you and post back in a few minutes. There aren't many pages to the roll (as someone pointed out already). One of my relatives has the Territorial Efficiency Medal and I copied it at TNA.

Only 8 Seaforth officers that I can see were granted the Territorial Force War Medal and he isn't there. I also checked the ORs list too but nothing doing. On the medal card of one of my relatives, it looks like this:

post-70679-0-70072000-1411075475_thumb.j

However as you say, it might have just been missed off your man's card. Although I knew James had the award before I pulled his medal card because it was mentioned in the Morayshire Roll. I don't know if you have already gone down the route of looking in any Rolls of Honour?

seaforths, sotomate, and alexandergpeck: Thank you for your efforts on this. It does appear that this search is at a dead end.

This might be a daft question and something you have already investigated but was he named Gregor from birth? The reason being is that I have records to show my great grandfather as being registered as George by birth and this continues until the 1901 census when he was around thirty. However, after 1901, over time it becomes corrupted to Gregor and then on his death certificate: Grigor. Just a thought...

This might be a daft question and something you have already investigated but was he named Gregor from birth? The reason being is that I have records to show my great grandfather as being registered as George by birth and this continues until the 1901 census when he was around thirty. However, after 1901, over time it becomes corrupted to Gregor and then on his death certificate: Grigor. Just a thought...

Good idea. I shall look into that possibility over the weekend. Thanks.

• 5 years later...

I have just noticed that last Fall  Forces War Records introduced a database of recipients of the LSGM.  Their text says the database also includes recipients of the VLSM, TFEM, TEM and EM(T) and variations (their text, my abbr).  I checked and a 1909 recipient was listed with his correct number, award date and regiment, but no battalion. 

The free search is by name only. Can subscribers to Family War Records search the  LSGCM database by unit rather than by an individual’s name?  If you can do a unit search, can you also break out the regulars (LSGCM) from the Volunteers and Territorials?  That is not possible via the free access.

Rob.

10 minutes ago, rob carman said:

I have just noticed that last Fall  Forces War Records introduced a database of recipients of the LSGM.  Their text says the database also includes recipients of the VLSM, TFEM, TEM and EM(T) and variations (their text, my abbr).  I checked and a 1909 recipient was listed with his correct number, award date and regiment, but no battalion. 

The free search is by name only. Can subscribers to Family War Records search the  LSGCM database by unit rather than by an individual’s name?  If you can do a unit search, can you also break out the regulars (LSGCM) from the Volunteers and Territorials?  That is not possible via the free access.

Rob.

Hi,

I think the general consensus of GWF members about FWR is “caveat emptor”.....

Steve

The Territorial Force War Medal seems to be available on Ancestry for example Click

If you input "territorial force" into the keyword box tick exact and it turns up. sould be searchable by regiment and name?

Mike

40 minutes ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

I think the general consensus of GWF members about FWR is “caveat emptor”.....

Steve

I think to be fair, it is a far different sit to that of the early days, and I pretty much wouldn't be without it now, and well-worth the money.

Mike

Edited by Skipman

Thanks chaps.

Mike: Do you know if a FWR member's search would give me numbers, battalion and award dates?  I think I could identify regular vs militia vs territorials by number ranges if I had to but would rather not. The TFWM is my next stop after the time-served awards. 

Steve:  I did read the thread started by Chris Baker so I know FWR may have some doubters.  But if the FWR data includes name, number, battalion, regiment and date, subscribing for a month will be cheaper than any likely alternative and would cost about the same as the VLSM rolls accessible for UK$15 through the OMRS. 

Rob.

54 minutes ago, rob carman said:

Mike: Do you know if a FWR member's search would give me numbers, battalion and award dates?  I think I could identify regular vs militia vs territorials by number ranges if I had to but would rather not. The TFWM is my next stop after the time-served awards. 

Rob.

I had a look at an RGA gunner Herbert Woodbury not sure it gives all you require. Attached example of info

Give me name and number of a soldier you're researching and will have a look.

Mike

temp woodbury.PNG

58 minutes ago, rob carman said:

Thanks chaps.

Steve:  I did read the thread started by Chris Baker so I know FWR may have some doubters.  But if the FWR data includes name, number, battalion, regiment and date, subscribing for a month will be cheaper than any likely alternative and would cost about the same as the VLSM rolls accessible for UK$15 through the OMRS. 

Rob.

Why would you be identifying regulars and Militia in TFEM awards? They weren't eligible for the TFEM unless they were Territorials.

12 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

Why would you be identifying regulars and Militia in TFEM awards? They weren't eligible for the TFEM unless they were Territorials.

The database includes the LSGCM and my search by name (the only free option) using a known volunteer did not show he was a volunteer vs a regular or that he received the VLSM not the LSGCM.  I want to sort the regulars and militiamen away.

Mike. 

Thanks for doing this.

I have three Norfolk Regt men, I think one from each medal group:  Walter Elvin, 585, 4 (VB);  EA Bailey 160; 4 (TF) Bn; FC Holden 5774171 unkn Bn. 

Rob.

12 minutes ago, rob carman said:

Mike. 

Thanks for doing this.

I have three Norfolk Regt men, I think one from each medal group:  Walter Elvin, 585, 4 (VB);  EA Bailey 160; 4 (TF) Bn; FC Holden 5774171 unkn Bn. 

Rob.

For Elvin all it gives is an Authority date for the Volunteer Long Service Medal 1/1/1909 and 1909 for the Militia Long Service Medal

Is that what you're after?

Mike

No number or indication of battalion for Elvin?  It says he got both the VLSM and the LSGCM? 

How about bailey or Holden?  TFEM and TEM?