Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inns of Court OTC

Frajohn

I am trying to find details of Private Percy Farrant. The GWGC gives his Service number as 7172 and that he died 3oth June 1916. He is buried in Hemyock Cemetery, Devon UK. SDGW gives the additional information that he was born in Hemyock and enlisted in London. The theatre of war is given as home, and how he died is "died". I looked through the MIC but could find no trace of him.

I would guess from this taht Percy never completed his training? and died either from illness or accident while still in the UK?

I would like to find out more about him. Is it worth looking in WO363/364 or is there somewhere else where his records might be held?

Regards

John

John, his entry in "The Inns of Court OTC During the Great War" is similarly sparse. It says:

joined the OTC on 3/11/1915 with number 7172.

served in 6 Company and the OTC's own Squadron of cavalry

died 30/6/16

Thats it. Entries normally give date commissioned, regiment or corps commissioned into, decorations, whether wounded, theatres of war served in and highest commissioned rank attained. Ive found that this source is normally quite good. The absence of any other info suggests that he did not serve overseas and died before he was commissioned.

Did he have any brothers? Three other Farrants are listed.

Charles

Thank you for the information, it does add a little more knowledge of Percy. He is commemorated on a local War Memorial that I am researching. As I said he is buried in a local cemetery, and although he is listed in CWGC, his memorial is much grander than the standard CWG.

In the 1901 Census he has two older brothers; John & Edward. John being 21 and Edward 19. I do not know if he had any brothers born after 1901.

Regards

John

John, In case it helps, the other three listed are:

Dover Pearce FARRANT comm R Fusiliers att RAF

Percival Curphey Callister FARRANT comm S Lanc R. address (c. 1921) given as Church Cottage, Grappenhall, Cheshire

Royden Arundel FARRANT, transferred to 14th London R without being commissioned. address (c. 1921) given as Bursfield, Clarendon Rd, Woodford

Doesnt look like the brothers or cousins mentioned so far, these three have forenames that are far more interesting.

regards

Charles

Charles

Once again many thanks for your time.

It must be something about the name that attracts the 'bountiful' forenames.

Apart from local newspapers, have you any ideas where I might liik for further details of the cause of death?

Regards

John

Myrtle

Thank you for your input.

Is it likely that any person buried in the UK is likely to have died here, and therefore would have a normal Death Certificate? The reason I ask is that 5 others commemorated on my local memorial are buried in the UK.

Regards

John

Is it likely that any person buried in the UK is likely to have died here, and therefore would have a normal Death Certificate?

Yes.

(Unless one of the relatively small number of men who were repatriated after death, early on in the war. Terry Denham's post regarding these men can be found in the "Soldiers" section under "Repatriated after Death, Names please.")

Myrtle