The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John Barrett-Welsh Regt

Dannemois

I am looking for information on the following soldier; BARRETT, JOHN, Private 267128, Welsh Regiment 1st/6th Battalion. Date of Death: 09/02/1917, commemorated Pier and Face 7 A and 10 A. THIEPVAL MEMORIAL. I would appreciate any help which will enable me to build a picture of this casualty.

Thanks

Hi,

His MIC shows 3313,15737 and 267128 ALL 1/5 Welsh Brit,Vic,15 Star entered Balkans (2B) 9.8.15. SDGW enlisted Rhymney, born Tirphil, Glamorgan.

Regards Barry

Most likely candidate born ? Aug 1890(1891 census shows he is 10 months old) 1911 living with his uncle and family at 1 Railway Terrace, Tirphil, Glamorgan (Arundle family) Looks like this chap had a brother Thomas, 2yrs younger. Mother Mary, widowed. Father Thomas from Liverpool.

Edited by The Inspector

Many thanks, I really appreciate the details. My local library is where I usually access Ancestry and FMP, but unfortunately are closed until the new year due to a move to a new building.

Thanks, Roy

I have done some research into the 6th Welsh, but have no information on John Barrett. He is one of eight 6th Welsh commemorated on Theipval, but the others were killed in July-September 1916.

My understanding is that on 3 February 1917 the battalion moved from Millencourt to Mericourt sur Somme. On 7 February a soldier of the 6th Bn died of wounds and was buried in Heath Cemetery, Harbonniers on the Somme, on the 10th a soldier of the battalion died of pneumonia and was buried in the same memorial.

Moriaty

Hi Moriaty

Thanks for your post; its so frustrating on times, I'm trying to write up short accounts of all the soldiers named on several local war memorials but with my local library closed due to a move to new buildings, I am not able to do much research at the moment. I am very grateful for your help and thank you for the info.

Kind Regards, Roy