Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial Force Weaponry

Jim Gordon

I raised this before in a previous posting (see http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?act=P...19273&p=151219) and got a nil response. Please bear with me if I try again !

1) Was the TF sent to France armed with the Lee-Metford ?

2) If they were when did they receive the SMLE ?

3) Was there any conflict between their needs and that of the CEF who wished to ditch the Ross Rifle ?

Regards

Jim Gordon

Sadly, I can't help much, but in my local museum there are photos of the August 1914 'march out' of the North Devon Hussars on the walls. Clearly seen are Lee Metford rifles.

Hi Jim,

I believe that the common rifle was the Long Lee a sort of cross between the Lee Metford and SMLE, for want of a better description. However, this depended entirely on unit. For instance I believe that some of the TF units sent abroad very early in the war had the SMLE as well as 08 patt. webbing.

I'll see if I can find some more details and let you know. Until then.

All the best,

Tim

Hi Jim,

Long Lee Enfield MKI* adopted in 1899.

Here is a photo of the Long Lee...

Regards,

Tim

post-23-1096449764.jpg

Barry Q and Tim

Thank you both for your replies.

My point really was that when the CEF arrived in France they were armed with the Ross rifle which was virtually incapable of rapid fire before jamming and whose bolt had a disconcerting habit of hurtling into the face of the user. This latter fault was particulary apt to occur after the rifle had been cleaned and re-assembled as a mistake could be made in the re-assembly process which was virtually undetecable by visual inspection. Accordingly the CEF couldn't wait to be re-armed with the SMLE the Ross being retained by snipers as it was more accurate and rapid fire was not required. Like yourselves I have photos of TF Units circa 1915/1916 and they don't seem to be armed with the SMLE. I just wondered if the CEF had been given priority. I cannot believe that the TF was never issued with the SMLE at some time.

Regards

Jim Gordon