Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvte Leonard Cecil Baldry 6296 2nd Bat Northamptonshire Reg

rogerwilson

Hi

I'm researching a relative who fell on 19th Nov 1914.

We believe from his memorial that he served with the 2nd bat of the Northamptonshire regiment. The war diaries suggest they were on the front line on that day albeit relieved later in the day. I have also downloaded his medal card where the handwriting is unclear and says either Northum and Northam. What's causing me confusion is his listing on ancestry which suggests he served with the Northumberland regiment.

Can anybody give me help and guidance as to how I can get to the bottom of this interesting little twist in my research?

I really appreciate any help that anyone can give...

Many Thanks

Roger

From CWGC

BALDRY, LEONARD CECIL Rank: Private Service No: 6296 Date of Death: 19/11/1914 Regiment/Service: Northamptonshire Regiment 2nd Bn. Panel Reference Panel 28 to 30. Memorial LE TOURET MEMORIAL

There are a whole swath of "Northumberland Regiment" mistakes, the National Archives virtually transcribing the whole of the 2nd Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment as "Northumberland Regiment". The Ancestry indexing has it's moments, but is generally better at not falling into that specific trap. In this case I am 99.9% sure it is the Northamptonshire Regiment.

It was common for men to be listed as dying on the date when the battalion was relieved rather than a specific day in the tour of duty or battle. This was especially so if a man was initially posted as "Missing".

Steve.