Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Somme

sandi921

I am preparing for a WW1 project and looking for the details of Pte Finlay MacLeod born 1899 Balnabruach, Nigg, Ross-shire, son of Hugh. I believe he was at the Easter Rising Ireland, France and the Somme with the 1/7 Black Watch. He was wounded as he was in hospital in 1918 at Stourbridge. His number was 25085. I cannot find his papers - perhaps they were destroyed. Grateful for any help, thanks. Sandi

Findlay McLeod S/25085 Royal Highlanders has seemingly only a Medal Index Card,a check in service and pension records has produced no info. If you are sure he was 1/7 RH (BW) then you can get to see a War Diary from the National Archives,but you may be short of dates in which he served with that unit. You can check for his unit by looking in the original Medal Roll at Kew,the data on his Card relates to ledger WO329/1354 page 1072. If you wish I can do that early next week and post the result here.

The War Diaries are not yet digital so cannot be downloaded. For info they cover the unit from May 1915 to mar 1919 and there are several segments in WO95/2877:2878 and 2879.

The Medal Card indicates that did not enter the war until 1916 .

Sandi

1/7 Battalion it is ! I looked at the Medal Roll yesterday,so if you would like it let me have your e-mail address in our Message system here.