Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ORNATE MEMORIAL PLAQUE FRAMES

303man

I have started this thread as we have all probably seen the more Common Wright Memorial Plaque Frames, but how about you show us what you have, I will start the ball rolling.

y4ow.jpg

Another for good measure.

h9r4.jpg

l1mk.jpg

Excellent examples - I really like the one to Private Tulley. Other than a Wright "VC" style holder, I only have one framed Memorial Plaque which I will photograph and add tomorrow.

Sepoy

Did you acquire that pottery one in the last week or so - recall seeing it in a catalogue, but don't recall where. Briefly considered going for it, but trying very hard to be specific in my buying these days and not get distracted! How much did you get it for (if you don't mind me asking!)?

James

OK - not an unreasonable amount, if you have only seen 2 (and that was the first one I've come across in 15 years).

James

Here is the Memorial Plaque to my great-uncle Sjt. Walter Dixon (see signature below). It sits in a hand carved oak frame, probably made by a local Kendal "joiner".

I thought it might have been carved to sit ' the other way round' on a mantel piece, but the arrangement of the fixing shows that the plaque cannot be turned round so it was intended for wall hanging.

It is a very simple carving, not very ornate, but gives me great pleasure to have it hanging on the wall of my den.

Cheers, Pete

Looking at his plaque it is Acton made, therefor highly likely a early casualty my guess was Somme. So I checked CWGC and Sgt Border Regt Somme 1916 I presume that's him from Kendal. I am trying to work out roughly what percentage of Somme Casualties have Acton Plaques. It was partly because of the heavy casualties on the Somme and the war starting to lose favor at home that the decision to provide a memento to the next of kin of the fallen came about. From the Times Nov 1916 (Coincidence end of the Somme Campaign)

wnn5.jpg

• 4 years later...

The plaque and ornate Cenotaph type frame in the top picture are in my collection, at the time I thought it was a hand made one off.  But last week in a parcel lot at auction (Which I did not bid on) this second one appeared, so I assume these may have been commercially produced, albeit mine looks more crudely made than the other.  Anyone else have similar?

Picture1.png

original.jpg

Edited by 303man

my first foray into medal collecting, from a local junk shop next to the cinema I had just come out from. age 15 the princelysum of £15. had to go back home to get the money. trio to Walter John Harris Wilts Regt. remembered on the Le Touret Memorial 15th June 1916. as it came from the shop, 42 years ago. still not researched !!!

DSC_0422.JPG

the latest, Frank Robert Wheeler, thats all I know, another unresearched...

christmas is coming, might treat myself to Ancestry for the new year.

DSC_0423.JPG

this is reasonably well machined and polished but pin ***** pattern around central boss is fairly crude, octagon  back plate with a pull out flap to support.

to avoid censorship looks like the pattern was made with a nail in 3 circles 

Edited by chaz
word censored

I picked this one up on a market stall earlier this year for the princely sum of £20. Plaque is to Frederick Harold Comley, a Jutland casualty. Not really my area of research (and I’ve since sold it on) but couldn’t leave it sat there.

I assume this frame was homemade...

C4120B14-1743-4C9E-B752-D677009F28BD.jpeg