Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF Airman Arthur Edwin Holland

researchingreg

I have just found out this evening, that my wife's grandfather was in the RAF in WW1 (non flying). We only have his date of birth 4 April 1883, which makes him rather old to be in the Armed services, perhaps he was called up? He certainly wasn't a professional soldier, so he could have volunteered. I suppose his record would be on an AIR 79. Would anybody have access to this info? Or would it mean a trip to Kew?

I have just been given some further information that Arthur Edwin Holland's Service Number was 192108. Would this help?

The RAF Muster Roll for 1 April 1918 lists two A E Hollands, but one of them was a boy.

The other was 407161, a Clerk (General) ranking as Air Mechanic (3) in the RFC becoming Clerk(3) in the RAF. No date of enlistment is given, but the date of last promotion was 26 January 1918. (Was there a rank lower than AM3?). Could that be him?

At the moment AIR79 does mean a trip to Kew.

Roger.

(Your last post crossed this one.)

I have just been given some further information that Arthur Edwin Holland's Service Number was 192108. Would this help?

It would. This is his AIR79 record. Unfortunately not online.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C12224632

Roger.

Roger

That was quick. Thanks very much for the information. I will have to go to Kew. An hour ago I did not know anything about this.

Roger

I have now been to Kew and got his AIR 79 record (Arthur Edwin Holland 192108). He was a Clerk 3 at 14 TDS then was promoted and ended up as a Clerk 2.