Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When did officers begin to carry rifles?

Michael Pegum

The painting of the battle at Landrecies on 25th August, 1914 by William Barn(e)s Wollen shows a soldier in the Grenadier Guards waving his comrades on, brandishing a rifle.

He doesn't appear to have stripes on his arm or pips on his cuff. Is he an officer or a private? I thought officers began to carry rifles, to make themselves less obvious to snipers, a long time later, and I'm not sure when the officer's rank on the cuff was introduced.

Michael

Michael

Don't know the answer to your question on officers and rifles, but I'm pretty sure the figure in the painting is a private. The pack, the rifle and the absence of cuff insignia does it for me

David

The really key change was not carrying a rifle rather than a revolver, pips on shoulder rather than on cuff nor even wearing a privates tunic but ceasing to wear riding britches. At a distance it was difficult to see the other features but the britches changed the silhouette of the man and marked him as a target.

I'm no expert - and don't normally post when I'm ignorant - but I too think he's a private urging his comrades on. In quite a few "battle" paintings there's often a private or two adopting dramatic poses.

Moonraker

An almost inevitable component of many R Caton-Woodville productions

How true...can't beat them for atmosphere though.

Just put his name into the Google Images search box. I see what Squirrel means. Some excellent paintings of various engagements.

Moonraker

An almost inevitable component of many R Caton-Woodville productions

Ahem - this one is by William Barnes Wollen!

Many thanks for all the comments.

Michael

Both these artists, and many commercial illustrators, continued to produce work in the 'heroic' 19th c. tradition, which to the modern eye looks increasingly out of step with what we now know of the reality of Great War warfare. Such paintings are usually constructed around a series of visual tricks, intended to lead the viewer's eye around the painting like a dog.