Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

questions about victory medals...

davidckahn

I'm trying to form a collection of victory medals from each country that issued them, getting the multiple different varieties when possible. One thing that confuses me is the British medals. From what I can tell in Laslo, the only difference between the two types is that one is gilded while the other is dark. How does one tell the difference between a dark one and a gilded one that has just lost its sheen? I read somewhere that the dark ones went mainly to officers and Indian troops...I'm looking at several on eBay for Indian troops that look darker than the other.

Also, I ran across this "Polish" medal. I know that Poland didn't actually issue one, so can someone explain to me the history of what I presume is a fake Polish issue?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360792189931?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I must confess that I have never knowingly come across an example of the British issue Victory Medal variation. The colour was down to the way the medal planchets were finished and the way the ring mount was soldered on.

If you look on the attached link, one of these Victory Medals is shown

Sepoy

Some slides from a talk I gave an an OMSA Convention seminar a few years ago relative to the Type I British Victory Medal:

Slide 1: The two types of British Victory Medals

post-765-0-54587100-1384830039_thumb.jpg

Slide 2: Comparison of the surface of the medal planchet:

post-765-0-24335000-1384830446_thumb.jpg

Slide 4: Comparison of the suspension and suspension rings:

post-765-0-04722700-1384830803_thumb.jpg

If you wish to learn more about the British Type I Victory Medal you might wish to examine my article "The Type I Victory Medal, 1914-19" in the Journal of the Orders and Medals Research Society, September 2009, p. 152-159. Dick Flory

I'm finding it difficult to tell by the pictures what the soldering is like, but this one looks "chocolate" enough, that I think it fits the bill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WORLD-WAR-ONE-VICTORY-MEDAL-LCPL-F-JACKSON-LIVERPOOL-REGT-/251384202101?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3a87aa8375

Be careful - a Victory Medal which has lost its original gilt finish by polishing can result in the medal tarnishing to a dark finish.

Unfortunately, I cannot get access to any of my reference works at present, but from memory the "Chocolate" Victory Medals were only issued for a very short period of time - I think at the beginning of the production process.

Dick's photos are really useful in identifying these medals but may be he can add a rough time scale as to their issue, as well as rough numbers issued.

If Dick can provide the rough dates of production, you could check the Medal Rolls to see what dates the advertised Victory Medal was issued (that is if the Medal Roll is dated)

Sepoy

Hmm...okay, so I guess I need to be a bit more careful when looking for a Type 1. Maybe the kind of thing that is best done in physical stores than on eBay. Thanks for the tip.