Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas T Sefton - Cameron Highlanders

Guest David Sefton

Guest David Sefton

I am trying to find out a little more about my grandfather's service in WW1.

I have his medal card and (assuming it is correct) it shows him as being in the Cameron Highlanders, service number 24767. He then appears to have transferred to the Labour Corps and I also have a letter from him dated 21 March 1919 (France) telling his fiancée that he is being demobilised and coming home.

I would really like to know when he joined up and which Battalion of the Cameron's he was in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am trying to find out a little more about my grandfather's service in WW1.

I have his medal card and (assuming it is correct) it shows him as being in the Cameron Highlanders, service number 24767. He then appears to have transferred to the Labour Corps and I also have a letter from him dated 21 March 1919 (France) telling his fiancée that he is being demobilised and coming home.

I would really like to know when he joined up and which Battalion of the Cameron's he was in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The MIC normally has the Bn. number on it? Have you tried looking on Ancestry for his service records? If available, that would likely answer your questions.

Hazel C

Hi there

I had a look on the roll of the Silver War Badge (which gives date of enlistment) for men with similar service numbers to him but for soldiers with the service numbers S/23***-S/26*** there seems to be no logical pattern - many men with mid-1915 enlistment dates are mixed with men from mid-1916. I checked for service and pension records but couldn't find any.

And as for battalion - he could have been posted to any of the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th or 7th Camerons. Perhaps the medal roll at The National Archives will say. He may have served with more than one batttalion however.

Good luck!

Patrick