Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Goldthorpe, 8770, Royal Irish Rifles

Noor

Hi all,

I am trying to find more information regards the Private John Goldthorpe. I have his MIC that confirms his entitlement:

- 1914 Star with the clasp

- British War Medal

- Victory Medal

Also SWB roll confirms that he enlisted already 1907 and was discharged 1915 due to the wounds.

1911 England Census shows him with the RIRif. and gives his estimated birth year 1890 in Belfast.

There is as well some kind of Great War Belfast Clippings has input:

Goldthorpe, John, Private, Royal Irish Rifles, Lindsay Street Belfast, Wounded

I am pretty sure that it is him. Clippings was with some really bad picture, if someone has better photos is it possible to confirm does it includes his photo as well.

Also any extra information about him would be great.

Kind Regards,

Noor

2 Battalion Royal Irish Rifles,first landed in France on 14 Aug 1914 with 7 Brigade of 3 Division.

There is a War Diary for the unit,together with the component units of 7 Brigade,under ref WO95/1415,digital and downloadable from the NA Discovery database for 3.36.

Noor, not sure if this helps, but this snippet appeared in Belfast Telegraph April 1915 which gives sames service number and confirms Belfast, Lindsay street address.

Also forum member Don Don has a hospital list of wounded and possibly! Dublin Castle Red Cross Hospital is amongst them which may give further info.

1901 Belfast Census John Goldthorp aged 12 Birthplace Belfast. Head of household Maria Jane Sommerville.

Walter

post-64827-0-67715600-1384729720_thumb.j

Thank you so much guys! At least I know now that I am in right track! I will have a look at the Irish Times wound lists today as well. I am pretty sure he must appears there too.

There was one John Goldthorpe on the same street who born 1855 (Ancestry) and died 1898. I have a feeling that this must be his father:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=94861008

However, when I am looking that Census input, I think Maria Jane Sommerville was his grandmother/head of family-household (age 72) and Anna Elizabeth Goldthorp (age 32), who is listed as well as widow on Census, was actually John's mother.

So, when he reached right age (17-18) he joined the Rifles 1907 and was with the unit 1911 as well.

• 3 years later...
Guest George kirkpatrick

JOHN GOLDTHORPE WHO FOUGHT AND WAS WOUNDED IN THE GREAT WAR HE WAS MY GRANDFATHER, THE FATHER OF MY MOTHER KATHLEEN. 

HE HAD TWO DAUGHTERS, AND THREE SONS, FREDDY, WILLIE AND JOHN WHO THE YOUNGEST.

JOHN GOLDTHORPE, LIVED ALL OF HIS MARIED LIFE IN VERNO N STREET, IN THE DONEGAL PASS AREA OF BELFAST.

MY GRANDFATHER DIED IN APPROX 1958/59  FROM A HEART ATTACK THAT SUFFERED WHILE RUNNING FOR A BUS IN HIS FAVOURITE SPOT FOR A WALK, CARRICKFERGUS.

WHEN WOUNDED IN THE GREAT WAR, HE LOST THE USE OF ONE OF HIS ARMS WHICH DID NOT DETER HIM ONE LITTLE BIT FROM GOING ON TO  LIVE A VERY FRUITFIL AND PRODUCTIVE  LIFE AS  A DUSTMAN, A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE HOME IN VERNON STREET, A GREAT FAMILY MAN, A LOYAL ULSTERMAN AND A GRANDFATHER THAT I HAVE SPENT MY ENTIRE LIFE TRYING TO EMULATE.

GEORGE KIRKPATRICK.

Edited by George kirkpatrick
Misspelling