Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C.E.F. Bombardier....

Guest bert

Bombardier 87192 Bernard L A R B A L E S T I E R, native of Jersey, served with the RGA on Jersey, died on Saturday, 2 December 1916, whilst serving with 81 Battery, 5th Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery, assigned to the 2nd Canadian Division. I have not been able to ascertain how he died. Can anyone put me on the right track? I know his unit had just spent eleven weeks on The Somme, so it is possible he died of wounds received during that dread ordeal. Very many thanks.

I'm assuming you mean 18th Battery. All I can find is War Diary for 5th Brigade, which is not too helpful.

I note he is buried in Jersey. Why? DOW?

I might suggest using Arnie Kay or some other CEF researcher to track down his file and circumstance of death form. As has been mentioned before the C of D form is sometimes amazing in detailing a casualty's death. The only drawback might be that sometimes, while killed in actions are listed those who died of wounds some time after their injury are not recorded on this page. It's worth a shot, though.

Thank you, gentlemen. Yes, I saw the War Diary entries (they were just relieving batteries on that day, so presumably he died of wounds received earlier). His kit is marked '811 CFA' so I am unsure if this was meant to be 18 Battery or 81 Battery, thoughts? Yes, the 1916 Honour book shows 3d Brigade, but the CWG entry has 5th Bde, and this is what I've gone by. Once again, many thanks.

As there was no 81st Battery, and the 18th Battery was in the 5th Brigade, these are my thoughts . . .

The Seventh Official List of Casualties to Members of the Canadian Expeditionary Force Reported between October 1st and December 31st, 1916 lists him under 4th Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery as Died of wounds, December 2, No. 87192, Bombardier Bernard Larbalistier (formerly 20th Battery, 5th Brigade) Regards. Dick Flory

Very many thanks to rflory for clearing up the confusion about the poor fellow's unit and confirming my guess that he died of wounds. Your kindness entitles you to a tin of jam in any flavour you choose, just so long as it is plum-and-apple....