Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irishmen as officers?

MJROB

Am I correct in inferring that "Our Heroes" would give a figure for the number of "Irish" officers who died on the Great War or as a result of wounds / illness received while on active service?

Séamus

Yes, but it would involve looking at each one mentioned, as not all who appear in the index died, or were officers. It included those who received medals or mentions in dispatches. Some of those included were not officers, but were sons of prominent families, or had won medals.

Michael

Yes, but it would involve looking at each one mentioned, as not all who appear in the index died, or were officers. It included those who received medals or mentions in dispatches. Some of those included were not officers, but were sons of prominent families, or had won medals.

Michael

I will be able to get statistics when my project is complete - this will include selection of ranks, regiments, awards, whether KIA, MID etc.

I don't think the entries in the publication are exhaustive; I very much doubt if every Irish officer who was killed in action or mentioned in despatches would have ended up in "Our Heroes". However it is a valuable source which gives photos and background details including education, lineage, sporting achievements, previous civilian life and military careers.

Dave.

Another thing about Our Heroes is that there are some men in the book that are missing from the index.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Thank you to Michael, Dave And Tom for the clarification.

Best of luck with your projects.

Séamus

• 3 months later...

Over 130 former pupils of my old school, the Royal Belfast Academical Institution, died in WW1. Most were officers and most were serving with the 36th Ulster Division. This excellent website has photographs and brief biographies.

http://www.instgreatwar.com/

Thanks for that, some more on this site http://irishmedals.org/some-irishen-kia-ww1.html

• 4 weeks later...

The Plunket family of Meath and surrounding counties seem to have provided a few officers. Lord Dunsany was in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 1914-18 as were cadet branches of the Plunkets.