Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr Thomas Wilkinson RGA

abbrover

I have MIC and Medal rolls from NA which states he went overseas on 15.9.15 and he was with 6 Bde A.C (ammunition column?) I've tried looking for a war diary but can't find anything, any ideas where I can find out where he would have served?

Thanks

Hi Judith,

Assuming 6th Brigade RGA was the first unit Thomas served with after arriving in France in September 1915, then he would have been present at the Battle of Loos. 6 Brigade was then part of the Heavy Artillery Reserve, and was supporting IV Corps (specifically 1st Division and 15th Division) during the battle. As far as I can tell the brigade remained in the Loos sector until at least the summer of 1916.

Although 6th Brigade RGA war diary for this period may not survive, it might be worth checking the parent Corps Heavy Artillery war diaries (if they exist) - namely IV Corps and, from March 1916, I Corps.

I can tell you that Thomas went on to serve with 5 Siege Battery, and was wounded by shellfire on the 19th November 1917 when he was involved in preparing new battery positions at Bulow Farm near Langemarck.

All the best

Steve

Edit: As Bombardier Thomas was awarded his MM (along with two of his 5 Siege Battery chums) on the 5th December 1916 by the General Officer Commanding V Corps. (The battery was then at Collincamps on the northern part of the Somme battlefield.) I should add that this and the above information comes directly from the 5 Siege Battery war diary. 5 Siege Battery came under 6 Brigade RGA (off and on) from April 1915 until October 1916 when it joined 43 Heavy Artillery Group; presumably Thomas started off with 6 Brigade Ammunition Column, and at some point was attached / transferred to 5 Siege Battery.

You're welcome Judith,

May I ask what your connection with Thomas is? I always have an interest in men who served with 5 Siege Battery.

If you're interested in the 'doings' of 5 Siege Battery during the war I've provided a synopsis in this thread: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79821&p=1586192

All the best

Steve

Hi Steve

I don't have a personal connection to Thomas Wilkinson. At the beginning of November the Merseyside Branch of the Western Front Association held an exhibition and I was on the research table giving advice. I'm still wading through all the enquiries but one or two, such as this one, stumped me, but I knew someone on the GWF would come up trumps!

Thanks again

Judith