Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where to look next?

Miffy

I'm very much hoping someone can help me find where to look next in the search for my great-grandfather's information.

As part of a family tree search we've recently discovered that he was awarded the Military Medal during WWI and have been researching more information on this. We've found quite a bit of information already, such as his service dates, the date he was awarded the MM, the Gazette entry announcing the award, his medical discharge date and reason, the date he was awarded his medal while in military hospital, even who it was presented by and at what time! We have come to a complete stop in trying to find out why it was awarded though and have no idea where to look next.

The information I have so far is as follows:-

Pte J Field of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (the J is for John)

Service number: 18787

Gazette info: issue 30340 16/10/1917

Gazette page: 10719

The medal was awarded on 18 October 1917 and actually presented to him in October 1918 while in hospital in Northants after being brought home suffering from pneumonia and nephritis, which we are assuming was trench nephritis. We also have a copy of a letter from Northern Command advising the War Office of the date and time on which the presentation would take place but stating in it that the reason/act leading to the award was not known to them. We do not have any note as to whether the War Office replied to fill in the details. We have a copy of the Medal record showing that he was in the OBLI 6th (service) brigade at the time it was awarded and based on that we've been able to pretty much trace where he was involved and when.

We've not managed to locate any information as to why the medal was awarded or in relation to what battle, beyond the standard description of being for bravery in the field. Does anyone know where we can go next to try and find out the rest of his story as the discovery of his war record has come as a total shock to my mum who had no idea her grandfather was on the front line let alone having received a medal for gallantry. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Do you have the battalions war diary Miffy?

If not the diary is held in WO95/2120 and can be downloaded here for £3.36, of course there is no guarantee that you will find the reason for the award but it's a good place to look

Jon

Was he definitely 6 Battalion Jon?

Keith

We have a copy of the Medal record showing that he was in the OBLI 6th (service) brigade at the time it was awarded and based on that we've been able to pretty much trace where he was involved and when.

apparently

Sorry - missed that - brain on go slow

Keith

But on searching further it's actually the 5th stated on his MIC not 6th!

The diary for the 5th Bn. is held in WO95/1900/4 and sadly is not yet digitized

Jon

The MIC should be available for download with the next release of digitised war diaries promised for January. Otherwise a trip to Kew is required. The only other thing at Kew would be a quick check on the Medal Rolls in case any movements are mentioned. fairly unlikely but you never know.

Keith

Many thanks for the help. He did start in the 5th but from what we've traced that was merged into the 6th (service). Having just looked at his medal card again though it does just say 6th Battalion so I don't know where I picked up the (service) part from, possibly one of the papers my dad has printed out and I've read.

Have attached that medal card now I've worked out how - he had another card for the two other medals he received which don't mention the MM for some reason but I can't remember of they showed the battalion at that point

post-103991-0-80980000-1384701005_thumb.

In haste. The MM awarded with the 6th bn as per the card. MM for 3rd Ypres 31.7.17. to 18.8.17.Will have a look later. best w, Howard

Miffy,You give the date of 18th August.This may be the date of the recommendation which fits in with the MM awarded for the attack by the 20TH Div (6/OBLI were in 60/brigade of this Div)on 16.8.17.There is a very good account of this action in the history of The 20th Light Division pages 156 to 177,(book is available from Naval and Military Press)6th OBLI were formed up east of the Steenbeek with Brigade HQ at Stray Farm.The 6/OBLI crossed the Steenbeek and had earlier passed Au Bon Gite.60/bde met heavy opposition from enemy parties,firstly in blockhouses , secondly in hedgerows and ditches .Many enemy were killed and 135 prisoners were captured.By 7.45 am 60th Bde had taken the final objective.All this 16th to 18th August was the battle for Langemarck.best wishes, Howard.PS My guess is MM for rescue of wounded or good work with a Lewis gun.

Many thanks - the date of the gazette was 18 October not August - not sure if that makes any difference? The August dates I picked up from your previous reply bit don't know where those dates came from.

I've had a look through the diaries of the 6th OBLI for the period of the battle for Langemarck but can't see anything mentioned there with regard to any medals awarded. I'll get hold of the book you mentioned for the 20th and try looking there.

Many thanks.

Miffy,If you want to find the medals awarded for this action you will need to find a copy of Army Orders announcing the award.The Army Order for this action would be around 15th September 1917.I would be 95% certain his MM WAS FOR THE ACTION ON THE 16TH August.The 18.10.17 Gazette is for August 1917.The Army Order would contain a list of the awards.Alternatively look up the 18.10.17 Gazette and note the OBLI Awards.You are unlikely to find any citations unless you search his local newspaper for October/November 1917.Some details are often in there.best w, Howard

The 6th (Service) battalion was disbanded ay La Clytte Belgium on 15 February 1918. Personnel sent to 2/4th and 5th battalions and also the 14th entrenching battalion.

In your first post it would be 6th (service) Battalion OBLI (not Brigade which was made up of 4 battalions until early 1918)

16 August 1917 - 20th Div attacked at 04-45 hrs with 60th Brigade attacking initially on a one battalion front with the 6th OBLI - after crossing the Steenbeek, movement was restricted to small columns of men in single file which wound their way between craters full of water or mud. The Division was relived on 17th August, therefore the 16th as mentioned looks the likely date of his MM. It was a Thursday and the temperature was 68 degrees F, overcast but no rainfall.

Steve M

• 2 weeks later...

May sound obvious but try ordering the 5th/6th battalion War Diary for a visit to the National Archives itself? :)

Trotter