Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify Medal please

Dannemois

Can someone please help: A friend emailed me to say she found a WW1 medal with the inscription: R. Erasmus R.A.O.C. Sgt 19039837 and would like to return the medal to the family. I looked on CWGC but no result. This is how she describes the medal. "It has what looks like an angel with wings with a helmet holding a staff, looks like a wreath in the other hand. King George on the other side.Looks like IVF VI. ECRD". Can anyone please help with any details of this soldier and the medal.

If it has the head of George V, then it should have a clasp or bar attached which should be one of the following: S.PERSIA; KURDISTAN; IRAQ; N.W.PERSIA; SOUTHERN DESERT, IRAQ or NORTHERN KURDISTAN. The medal was not issued without a clasp.

Thanks to both for the information, I'll get back to my friend with the details. Wants the best way forward from here, is there any list I can look-up, would he have a service record?

Regards, Roy

I think the number, being 8 digits and starting in 19****** were part of the generic blocks issued during WW2, these were rationalised during the early 1950's so I'm guessing a GSM with bar(s) Palestine and/or Malaya

The Medal Rolls for the General Service Medal with Palestine 1945 - 45 bars are available on Ancestry (searchable) and the National Archives (Downloadable free of charge), but Mr Erasmus does not appear. I suspect that this will be a General Service Medal with Malaya bar. Unfortunately the Malaya Medal Rolls have not been released yet.

Also his Service Papers will be held by the Ministry of Defence. If you can prove his death, I understand that you can apply for his basic details under the Freedom of Information Act for a cost and a very long wait.
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Sepoy

Although can we ignore Bomb and Mine Clearance 45-49?

Shame, I have never come across one.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a sad day for me. I am the proud possessor of a GSM, and bar Malaya, issued to me in the 50s. Now it is being featured on this forum, during my lifetime. Honestly I do not feel that old at all. Crumbs, down to the allottment in the morning for a work out!

Tony P

It is a sad day for me. I am the proud possessor of a GSM, and bar Malaya, issued to me in the 50s. Now it is being featured on this forum, during my lifetime. Honestly I do not feel that old at all. Crumbs, down to the allottment in the morning for a work out!

Tony P

Obviously a very young boy Soldier :thumbsup:

Obviously a very young boy Soldier :thumbsup:

Not a 'drummer boy' a young dog handler.

Tony P

Letters ECRP at the figures foot are the designers initials E Carter Preston.

I think the number, being 8 digits and starting in 19****** were part of the generic blocks issued during WW2, these were rationalised during the early 1950's so I'm guessing a GSM with bar(s) Palestine and/or Malaya

The number is post September 1943 and pre-October 1950 just to narrow it down a little. The complete number would indicate nearer to 1943 than 1950 though ... guesstimating an enlistment of circa (mid) 1944.

Dave.