Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pozieres trench

Guest spandau

Hi all,

I'm looking for information about a specific communication trench dug by the Australians at Pozieres called Armidale Trench. It would have been constructed between July and September 1916.

Does anyone have a trench map or other record that refers to (and hopefully shows the location) of this trench?

All help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mat

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Robert,

I'm having no luck tracking down this trench. It's possible it could be from further afield than Pozieres, such as the Mouquet Farm sector. Anybody have any trench maps of this area?

Mat

Mat,

Just checked through Cuttells 148 Days on The Somme which gives a list of trenches and map references from 2nd July onwards. Unfortunately i can find no

Armidale Trench, Sorry.

Andy

Mat.

Where did you see the "Armidale" reference?

It would most likely be dug by a NSW Brigade. Homesick Victorians or West Australians would have gone for Armadale.

Pat

Anybody have any trench maps of this area?

Mat

I checked the other maps I have at the time, especially in the Moquet Farm area. No joy there either I'm afraid.

Sorry mate.

Robert

Hmmm.... it's a mystery. Thanks for all looking though.

I'm trying to find it because I've got a trench sign in my collection that says 'Armidale CT'. The digger who brought it back from the war has written on the back that it is from a local communication trench at Pozieres. Just trying to pinpont the location.

It's likely that the troops on the ground had names for trenches (particularly minor ones) that never made it to official trench maps, so I'm not surprised this one is a bit elusive. The digger could also have been mistaken as to where he picked it up.

If anyone has any other ideas how I can track down this trench, please let me know.

Pat: I think you are spot on. It definitely refers to Armidale, NSW.

Mat

Mat

I've had a look in most of my unit histories but so far no luck.

Maybe it might come down to going through one of the diaries at the AWM for units such as the 1st, 2nd & 4th Pioneer Battalions as they dug a fair few trenches around Pozieres.

In these diaries there are normally maps of the local area drawn and trenches are sometimes mentioned in these maps.

Cheers

Andrew