Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap bage Leicestershire reg

billyhart14

Whilst researching the wifes granddad who joined the 3rd battalion Leicestershire reg, I have noticed some cap badges showing a Tiger with the word Leicestershire on the bottom, but, I have a photograph of 3 WW1 soldiers, 1 having the same badge but the other 2 have the word Hindoostan added across the top of the same badge, I also noticed that badges for sale can show either badge, with or without the Hindoostan lettering, any help appeciated

Whilst researching the wifes granddad who joined the 3rd battalion Leicestershire reg, I have noticed some cap badges showing a Tiger with the word Leicestershire on the bottom, but, I have a photograph of 3 WW1 soldiers, 1 having the same badge but the other 2 have the word Hindoostan added across the top of the same badge, I also noticed that badges for sale can show either badge, with or without the Hindoostan lettering, any help appeciated

As far as I am aware if the badge has Hindoostan across the top it is for the regular battalions of the Leicestershire regiment, Without ' Hindoostan' is the badge of the Territorial battalions of the Leicestershire regiment.

Dave

The Hindoostan scroll and the Royal Tiger were both awarded to the regular battalions as a battle honour, and I believe I'm right in saying that the powers that be thought the Territorials were not worthy of the scroll.

Regards.

Llew.

Whilst researching the wifes granddad who joined the 3rd battalion Leicestershire reg, I have noticed some cap badges showing a Tiger with the word Leicestershire on the bottom, but, I have a photograph of 3 WW1 soldiers, 1 having the same badge but the other 2 have the word Hindoostan added across the top of the same badge, I also noticed that badges for sale can show either badge, with or without the Hindoostan lettering, any help appreciated

What the guys show is correct. Hindoostan was a battle honour awarded to various regiments of the British army for their service in the conquest of British India between 1780 and 1823. One of the regiments awarded this was 17th (Leicestershire) Regiment of Foot, which was later the Royal Leicestershire Regiment. The origins of the regiment were that they were raised in 1688 as Richard's Regiment (17th Foot in 1751, Royal in 1746). Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Could anyone help me understand why our family Leicestershire Hindoostan badge has a different face ? Our tiger badge has a face looking ahead and not turned facing you ..